Entire flock killed. What would you do?

cdmaze

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 14, 2009
Last Thursday morning I got ready to take my daughter to preschool and to my horror noticed the door to my coop open. I got out of my car and went over to it, finding white feathers caked all over the entrance. I took a look in the hen house, which was empty except for some black feathers.

I walked around the yard a bit, but I was running late and left. My heart sank. I'd left the door unlatched and something got in over night. We live at 3800 feet in the Sierras in Northern California, so, predators are many. At preschool, the other moms assured me that it was a strong possiblity whatever got in only got a few and the others are probably hiding.

I got back home and started really searching. My older kids came home on the bus and helped out. We found a pile of red feathers out by the mailbox near our neighbors yard. I could see the neighbor in his yard, but he never looked up at me. Then my son called me over. "Mom, I found a foot..."

It was a foot- coming out of the ground in the driveway- attached to my barred rock, Molly. My 6 year old daughter was hysterical. Then I heard the neighbor talking to his kids...I peeped over the fence and he went into the house. I asked one of his boys "Have you seen any of our chickens?"

The boy smirked. "Yeah...they're all over. Ones right there." He pointed to my dead Rhode Island Red. They have chickens too, so I asked, "What happened last night? Did you see anything?"

He laughed and looked at his brother. "My dad got drunk and let Ruby off her chain. She killed all our chickens and then got all your's too. What do we do with this chicken?"

I was ticked. "Ask your dad what to do with it."

I was so upset that this jerk did this. This dog killed half their flock last year and has been chained up since. And this same neighbor has been asked by us several times to keep his chickens in his yard (which I've posted about here a few times). He obviously doesn't care about his animals.

My husband called the landlord on the property, who said he'd tell the guy his dog has to go, but, I don't think that happened. This neighbor proceeds to call us and chew my husband out for not calling him first. "Lets talk about this, man!!" He says. But he could have!!! He could have stopped me and told me!! He could have even lied! But, no...he avoided me.

We called animal control, but I guess theres not much else we can do.

Should we demand he pay for a new flock? Take him to court?

We have already bought new chicks, and spent about $40 in feed and equipment to replace the old ones.

I'm really, really sad. I was very attached to my girls and I'm just sick that they were slaughtered like this. It would have been better if a wild animal got them for food- but this dog apparently just broke all there necks and buried them in the neighbors yard. I feel bad that I didn't latch the gate, but it was still closed and on our meager 1/3 of an acre. Even if it was latched, that dog could have forced her way in- thats how she got the other chickens- she dug in.

Ok, I'm rambling. I knew people on here would understand.

So sorry. It's bad enough when we lose birds this way as an adult but your children probably named the birds as they were pets. People do not seem to understand that chickens are pets that usually live outdoors. What did animal control tell you to do? How about your local police/sherriff? A neighbor sent a bill to the dog owner itemizing each animal and with a price lost. It is a difficult situation as it is your neighbor. Good luck and sorry about your loss.

I don't know how the law works in CA, but in MD, the owner would be responsible for paying any monetary damages associated with your loss from a rampaging animal. Animal control would also cite the owner, s/he would possibly have to pay a fine, and the animal could be declared a public nuisance (which would mean that it could be caught/destroyed if it is found improperly contained - even before it does something wrong).

I agree, it's one thing if it's a wild animal, it's another if it's a domesticated animal with a known "criminal" history. And their snideness to boot...ah, I feel for you
sad.png

Absolutely he should pay, without a doubt! Sounds like he needs a good ass whoppin' too for other reasons, but that's just a sidenote, not a suggestion. I'm sure many others will chime in with their own experiences in this sort of situation, which I don't have. I just wanted to express my SINCERE sympathy and
hugs.gif
I'm so, so sorry this happened to you and your girls!

Honestly? I would steal the dog and take it to a shelter that is not nearby. Hate to be like that, but if you aren't allowed to shoot it, and he don't follow leash laws... well....
I have done it before. It's best for the animal, and you... heck, and their chickens! Sometimes these things have to be done that way.

As far as the near future... I pad lock my coops up and runs are just latched. The birds get locked up at night and are on raised THICK floors. Nothing can dig in to them. I live right next to a dog hoarder and in the other direction there is a den of coyotes - within sight distance. I still have never lost a chicken.

I am assuming that you can't shoot where you live. You said it is a 1/3 a acre which suggests you aren't in the country. I'd lock my chickens up... and you see the dog out again... take it.

Quote:
All of what slackwater says I agree with and is the same in California. Did you file a formal complaint with animal control and did they interview you? I would follow up with them and make sure they know that the dog cost a lot of damage and that the Owner instigated it deliberately. Be a sweaky wheel and tell the landlord you want that guy to compensate you for the replacement birds and the replacement eggs until those birds reach the laying age. If they don't, you might want to file a small claims just for the principal of it.

Also, I would padlock my chicken pen from now on and get a game cam/ surveylance cam and a driveway alarm. I got my driveway charm for under $30, lets us know when anyone enters our property.

This is awful! I feel bad for this guys kids as they seem to have NO compation for animals if they found this funny, and he obviously raised them that way
sad.png
I would ask him for 15-20 bucks per chicken if they were POL or laying already. That's what you would pay for a full grown chicken. Poor chickens
sad.png
Sorry you and your children had to go through that as well.

I am so sorry for your losses, the way that you found them, and the way you were treated. That guy has no business having a dog like that, and even less unleashing it on the neighborhood. I hope you take him to court, because I think you will win, and sometimes that is the only way to get a message through to someone like him.
I hope that you find some very special hens amongst your new brood.

Dora'smom :

I am so sorry for your losses, the way that you found them, and the way you were treated. That guy has no business having a dog like that, and even less unleashing it on the neighborhood. I hope you take him to court, because I think you will win, and sometimes that is the only way to get a message through to someone like him. I hope that you find some very special hens amongst your new brood.

That is not my experience. Some people have seen the inside of a courtroom so much that it doesn't even phase them. Of course, I live in the redneck south.​

Back
Top Bottom