Entire flock staying inside coop

suburbanchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Raleigh NC
Hi All. I have 6 hens (2 are 18 weeks and 4 are 8 weeks). They are getting along well and are all staying in the coop all day yesterday and so far today. They come out to eat/drink whenever I go out, and then go back in. I’ve read lots of threads about one or two of them doing this, but not the entire flock. The weather is great (mid-70s).

A couple of things I wonder about:
The neighbors had a chicken killed Saturday night and it was a loud disturbing scenario. They were out the entire next day though, so I don’t think this is the issue.
And my coop is level, but the run is on a slope. Could this be bothering them? It will be a lot of work to level the run, so I hate to do it if this isn’t likely to be the issue. Otherwise, I’m glad to do it.

Any other ideas?

Attachments

• 9A99CB22-6A14-4C50-ADFF-CB386654F717.jpeg
    9A99CB22-6A14-4C50-ADFF-CB386654F717.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
but the run is on a slope. Could this be bothering them?
I doubt it.

I would think maybe there's a predator lurking they are hiding from like a hawk EXCEPT that chickens tend to have short attention spans and quickly forget they saw it fly in and land.

Maybe the older gals are practicing in the lay box?

Have you looked inside to see what's going on?

Hi All. I have 6 hens (2 are 18 weeks and 4 are 8 weeks). They are getting along well and are all staying in the coop all day yesterday and so far today. They come out to eat/drink whenever I go out, and then go back in. I’ve read lots of threads about one or two of them doing this, but not the entire flock. The weather is great (mid-70s).

A couple of things I wonder about:
The neighbors had a chicken killed Saturday night and it was a loud disturbing scenario. They were out the entire next day though, so I don’t think this is the issue.
And my coop is level, but the run is on a slope. Could this be bothering them? It will be a lot of work to level the run, so I hate to do it if this isn’t likely to be the issue. Otherwise, I’m glad to do it.

Any other ideas?
I don’t think a sloped run will bother them. Most of the younger chickies I’ve had have taken their sweet time to go explore, except the broody raised, of course. Have you tried luring them out into the run with some treats they like?

Another strange thing is that they were mostly in the run for a week, including during a very bad and windy storm. Seems like something changed yesterday.

Good to know! And yes, I periodically take treats out and they come out and eat and then go right back in. In fact, anytime us humans go out and talk to them, they come out, eat and drink, and go right back.
That sounds about right! My littles are 10 weeks old now and have just started to go into the run. Is it possible for you to let the older hens free range for a little while? I’ve found mine ALWAYS come out when the older girls aren’t there to bother them.

Yea it is pretty odd considering they have that area to do what they do, scratch and peck around..... Are they lethargic? How does their poo look? Is it easy to get in and out of there? I can't tell if there is a ladder or what. There really could be a predator that has scared them. Definitely spend some time watching all of the behavior. You could do a test and put them all out, close it up for a few...

Back
Top Bottom