Epic Fail! Havahart.....

Iowa Roo Mom

Resistance Is Futile
11 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Keokuk County
I have decided I am dealing with the biggest sow coon this side of the Mississippi. I have never seen anything like it. You should see my Havahart trap this morning. I had it set next to a bed I had made for that stupid stray cat.... Well, this morning, I come out to find the trap tripped, closed, the blankets pulled through the side of the cage, and NO COON!

I have never seen anything like it. I've had Havahart traps fail before, usually the locking bar is pushed out. But this... this is something else. It's.... peculiar. I'll try to post pics later tonight of the trap. I don't have time right now.
It's the strangest thing I've ever seen.

Stupid raccoons.

Big coon need BIG traps. They will squeze into the small ones and eat the bait. When the door trips, they are so big that their back end is still hanging out the back of the trap. They will then just back out of the trap and the door will shut. In a 4 day time period I baited two live traps and had 8 sprung traps with every morsel of bait done and nothing inside. We figured out the traps are too small.

Been seeing quite a few posts about this trap failing.

I have a Little Giant trap and it only failed once and it was my fault because I forgot to set it properly. Forgot to flip a lever.
I have caught large coons, skunks and feral cats in it. Skunks and coons are shot and the cats are rolled down the hill in it and they do not get back in it again.
big_smile.png

Duke sells a larger live trap for $50 and it works great. Buy it direct from them or you will probably pay too much.You just need to be sure and wire the bait door closed in the back or they can squeeze out of the hole. I've caught coons bobcats and ofx in hthem and they take the abuse.

Back
Top Bottom