Eric the Emu is Alive!!!!

briefvisit

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 9, 2013
No! I am wrong -- or at least, I can't identify this bird. It acts like Eric, but I have been to within about four feet of its neck, and I can't see the scar that is Eric's identifying mark. Check again later.

se

200x200px-ZC-1632e0dc_CHICKTWO.jpeg

Last edited:
We haven't seen this before: a wild bird just walked into the backyard. With me there. Right up to me. With its mate in tow.

I was sure it was Eric.

Hunger! I think these birds are hungry. We are seven weeks into autumn, and no rain yet. The farmhouse is on 'full water disciplines.' Dams are dry.

SE

Guys, all is confusion. We listed Eric missing because he did not turn up last spring -- that is, we haven't seen him since 2012.

There is a breeding-pair standing right now right outside the window -- followed me into the backyard, for Heaven's sake!!

Yesterday the male sat on its haunches so close to me that I could have slapped it on the beak; but I can't see the scar on the neck that identifies Eric:

No scar; no ID as Eric.

So, Sassybird is away. Felicity hasn't turned up (with a consort). There are few birds about. This newly-arrived breeding-pair are just standing about. There is a second breeding-pair in orbit also. The lilly pilly tree is becoming of interest to the birds -- figs are over.

And it's dry dry dry. Kangaroos are sneaking up to drink from the pot that collects drops from the eaves. Got dry dams all around me. The water tank is at an all-time low.

It may be that these birds are 'tame' because they are hungry. Perhaps the male is a bird that has been here before.

se

Morning!

Got two beautiful dark breeding-pairs in the house-clearing at this second. Kangaroos have started eating the peas in the garden at dusk! (and the joey was drinking from the bird bath)

No, the scar has been the same for over five years. It was the first identifying mark I ever saw. Maybe breeding-season pin-feathers have grown over it?

Perhaps, sadly sadly sadly, the fact is that I can simply no longer observe well enough to offer quality data.

I just walked outside. This new bird came into the backyard, towards me, walked across the old garden, then hopped across the fence under the plum tree -- just as Eric would do!! (And the female was saying, as she followed him into the yard, 'No, I don't like this!' and she turned and slipped out. Their dialogues are so easy to understand at times.

SE

Back
Top Bottom