Ermine problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by incubatingisfun, Nov 24, 2011.

1. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    The last few days an ermine (or a few ermines) has killed three of my chukars and my ducks where next in line so I moved my ducks to the chicken coop (temperarly I’ve course) and locked it up. I was just about to leave when I caught a glimpse of the ermine coming back for seconds so I went inside grabbed my shotgun then went back out and shot him hopefully that solved the problem temperarely but I’m not sure if there a whole family? Anyone got any tips for weasel proofing and deterring weasels?

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Hardware cloth 1/4"x1/4" and plug all holes

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  3. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Quote:X2

They're dirty socks with teeth. [​IMG]

4. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Alright thanks.In summer you would have to burry the cloth right since they can dig?

5. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    Shoot it. Or try to trap it. They would be very hard to hit unless you used a .20 gauge or a .410 gun. They aren't just a threat to chickens because I've seen a guy get attacked by one while hunting. It scratched him up really bad with its claws.

6. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Quote:Yeah I got one with the 410 but I think there may be more then one

7. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Quote:Bury it 6-12 inches deep, and/or use an "apron". The apron is where you bend the mesh at a right angle so that it (12+ inches) lays flat on the ground at the bottom of the outside of the fence/coop. Vegetation grows up through it -very predator proof, and less digging. That's on my to-do list this spring too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by