Ermine that lives under my coop!

ShadowRooster

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
claremont, NH
I new I had something under there. There were always fresh tunnels in the ground and snow. It was just eating eggs... I didn't know what it was. But it has moved on to my chickens, I need to get rid of it somehow...

I have seen it a few times now. Its an ermine for sure. I wish it would stick to eating eggs... he is a cute, interesting critter to have around. To keep him full, I have been feeding him mice till I can get a trap or something. What would I do with him when I catch him? I dont own a gun, or know how to use one. My dogs would get him if he did not live right under the coop. I know he can fit though my small hava heart trap, I set it and I saw him slip though the holes to get his mouse. Anyone know of good trap to buy, and then... what to do with him?

Its easy once you have him in the trap! We just take the trap in the car and drive a long ways away and turn him loose.

Be sure to drive like four or five miles away so he can't walk back. My friend drove away on a curvy road and I pointed that where she let it out was in a direct line above our place about a quarter mile, just seemed far away to her after the road curved all over.

My German Shepherd would chase them. The ermine turned around and bit him on the nose and got away unhurt.

Another time in the woods part of our place, my dog got his scent and was going nuts trying to find him, so the ermine ran over to my foot and sat there between my foot and my friend's foot, calmly watching the dog.

They are a fearless, remarkable little personality.

When I was a kid one dark snowy winter night my brothers and sisters (5 of us) heard something at the front door, not quite knocking. So we went and opened the door expecting a person. No one. Looked down and there was an ermine standing on his hind legs. He walked in calmly and took a tour of our house, with us 5 kids in tow. No fear whatsoever. He took his time looking everything over in each room and got to the back door, waited while we opened it, and walked out into the night.

Hope you catch him soon.

Fascinating! Nature never fails to surprise. I've never seen an ermine because I live in FL!

I'm actually a wildlife rehabber - my specialty are crows and squirrels. You wouldn't believe the depth of both of these creatures.

Crows are SO intelligent and are better talkers than most parrots. They stay with you when you go outside and have really strong family bonds for nearly the first 5 years of their lives. They make excellent pets but are not legal to own in the US due to a strange law that does not allow you to own a wild bird that is native to the US. You'd have to buy and African Raven if you wanted one. They like affection and treats and I just love their raspy voices. All of my crows have been released, the only way I can legally and in good conscience keep one is if it is injured permanently and classified as Non-releasable. I have loved all my crows very much.

Squirrels (eastern greys specifically) are amazing little animals. They are in the rodent family, but calling them tree rats is really undeserved - they are intelligent and hilarious, each one with a unique personality. They are so bizarre when you think about it. A diurnal rodent designed to be arboreal! They are also very family-oriented and will stick together in the same general area, even after mom kicks the babies out of her nest. Siblings will hang out together for a long time, until they find mates. I have released a great deal of them and most come back to visit me in the mornings for a nut and a head scratch. Squirrels LOVE to have their necks rubbed and their chests scratched - if you rub their neck and shoulder area they will lift up a front paw to get belly rubs! They are so surprising, JUST like chickens. You would never understand the depth unless you saw it yourself

Don't try any of this on wild animals, please, you'll get bitten. XD These are creatures that I have raised from babies - usually when mom dies or abandons them.

My advice is to enjoy your ermine. Predator-proof your coop. Pour concrete if it digs. Run electric wire. Protect what you can, and be prepared for losses when you can't.

Quote:
You want to trap and release a weasel?

You need the small trap. You can use the large trap if you wrap it with 1/2 metal hardware cloth.

Or you can just google weasel box to get rid of it.

All of my chickens free-range, never have to worry about animals eating them, my dogs are good at keeping them away. They just cant seem to get him. I will go try and weasle-proof my trap. They are so pretty in winter fur, pure white with a little black at the end of its tail...I will try to get some pics if I catch him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJfpFeaF5HA&feature=related
Great
info on making a trap,looks chicken safe too.
Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

I have an Ermine too that is right now eating eggs but Im sure if he was bigger he would try to get the chickens, and I called Vermont fish and game and they said if you catch it with a have a heart you have to let it go where you found it or kill it you cant take it and re release it .. I don't know if its the same in NH or not but I thought I would let you know what I found out.

Relocation of wild animals is generally not legal and is not logical. Most 'relocated' predators are either attacked and killed by residents of the new environment or are killed on their way back home. All wild animals have a strong homing instinct. Those that make it back home remain trap smart and continue snacking at the poultry buffet.

I have an Ermine too that is right now eating eggs but Im sure if he was bigger he would try to get the chickens, and I called Vermont fish and game and they said if you catch it with a have a heart you have to let it go where you found it or kill it you cant take it and re release it .. I don't know if its the same in NH or not but I thought I would let you know what I found out.
They don't have to be big to kill your chickens. Weasels will bite the chicken in the neck or under the wing and lap up the blood from the bird. I have lost chickens this way.

Back
Top Bottom