err aggravating drake!!

I agree with@sourland Mean drakes have no place in the flock and should not be kept for breeding. There are many nice ones that are culled (=killed) every year.

Have you tried going after him? I mean as soon as you see him you be the aggressor take the broom or even just walk fast towards him and make him get out of your way. Don't turn you back on him My drake that I had problems with come puberty would jump on my back so don't give him the advantage. You need to start acting like him, just like a dominant drake would act, I also do this with my roos, the ones I keep, I make them get out of my way and often I will bend down and walk towards them acting like I am going to pick them up,Makes them get out of dodge fast and They will eat out of my hand. My Muscovy drake who was my trouble maker and is now the dominant drake of the 4 drakes i have walks around strutting never lets his guard down just has this air about him that makes everyone respect him, this is how you need to act with your drake, You are the dominant drake not him, it has worked here. When you go out to put feed out or gather eggs make him get out of the way again a broom comes in mighty handy to push him out, Stand tall and act the part.

I agree with@sourland Mean drakes have no place in the flock and should not be kept for breeding. There are many nice ones that are culled (=killed) every year.

X3!

Would you tolerate this behavior if it was a dog that was increasing its level of aggression to the point where you were in danger of getting bit every single time you went into the yard? Of course, some people do...I personally think they're idiots when there are wonderful dogs being put down every single day because there aren't enough homes...but I worked in a shelter for a couple years and had to help make the live/die decision when there were more animals than kennels so I know all to well about prioritizing who has the best chance of a good future. You can try everything (and there are a million threads & articles on that), but at a certain point it either works or you have a serious liability on your hands & the only responsible thing to do is humanely put it down. Do you want to know what's going to happen to your life the day one of your kids' friends goes into the backyard & gets bit on the face or hands hard enough to break skin? Give it a nice burial instead of eating it if it makes you feel better (I have actually done this with a couple birds we were particularly attached to but that couldn't be broken of completely unacceptable habits).

I hope you're able to find something that works before he hurts someone.

X3!

Would you tolerate this behavior if it was a dog that was increasing its level of aggression to the point where you were in danger of getting bit every single time you went into the yard? Of course, some people do...I personally think they're idiots when there are wonderful dogs being put down every single day because there aren't enough homes...but I worked in a shelter for a couple years and had to help make the live/die decision when there were more animals than kennels so I know all to well about prioritizing who has the best chance of a good future. You can try everything (and there are a million threads & articles on that), but at a certain point it either works or you have a serious liability on your hands & the only responsible thing to do is humanely put it down. Do you want to know what's going to happen to your life the day one of your kids' friends goes into the backyard & gets bit on the face or hands hard enough to break skin? Give it a nice burial instead of eating it if it makes you feel better (I have actually done this with a couple birds we were particularly attached to but that couldn't be broken of completely unacceptable habits).

I hope you're able to find something that works before he hurts someone.
I don't think my drake is on the same level of intelligence as my dogs. I do feel there is always hope till you've tried every method possible. I had some tell me to "kill" my drake when he became aggressive with me, I am so glad I didn't .

I think my older drake, Nibbler, is as smart as the dog... he knows his name, comes when called, and has been taught a few simple tricks. You look in his eyes and know there is something going on. His son, not so much. I just don't have the heart to cull my annoying drake, even though I probably should. Not to mention, my son (the only person this duck is nice to) would never forgive me. The ducks go inside whenever guests are over, so I only need to worry about him hurting me. It's my burden for hatching him.

Well you know what CQ, Opie probably thinks he has dog in him since he was raised in the house with them till around 12 weeks old. and he also knows his name and comes when called. But whats funny is all my ducks catch bread in mid air but Opie won't even try. it's hilarious I'll toss bread his way and it just hits him in the head. He's a nut,.

I need to see that!! Maybe Nibby can learn to catch peas! Hmmm...

I need to see that!! Maybe Nibby can learn to catch peas! Hmmm...
I bet he can.
smile.png

Thank you for all the advice! I will definitely try and show him who's boss and hopefully with some patience he will calm down

Back
Top Bottom