Escaping chickens!

JENx

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
Leicester, England
My husband and son spent the weekend putting up a fence to make a pen for our ex-battery hens. They just flew staight over it!!! I have just clipped their wings, i really hope this works, will it? Any other ideas to stop them escaping?!

The wing clipping should work. A coverd run works good too and has the added benefit of making the run more usable during poor weather and harder for preds. to get into. Very cool that you took in some rescues!

Well they are still in there but it's only been a few hours! To think i didn't think chickens were very clever before we got them! We have a covered run as part of the coup but it's not really big enough for all the time! Nice for them their natural behaviours are coming back, but not so nice for our garden!!

I bet! Its nice to see them "act" they way they are supposed to, BUT, just not in the garden, right?!
thumbsup.gif
Hope you find a way to keep those silly girls out!

Our whole chicken area of a quarter acre is fenced with wire like this:

Fence

It's cheap and easy to install with posts. No attempts to fly over it or otherwise escape. In my experience, chickens don't fly "over" the fencing. They rather hop on the top of the fence and then hop on the other side. If they don't see a solid landing surface, such as in case of this wire, they will not attempt to jump on it.

Back
Top Bottom