Essential Oils

dsc6

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
I am into aromatherapy and have read that there are some essential oils that help prevent insects, etc., on the chickens and in the henhouse/coop. Any one have any experience with this? I am already using ACV in their water, and food-grade DE in their food and bedding, dust bath, etc. I have a very large collection of EOs and hydrosols, and would love to share them with the chickens!

I've used citronella, lavender, and peppermint oils successfully by saturating cotton balls and enclosing them in netting bags, which I hang from the ceiling of the coop.

I say "successfully" because I've had no major outbreaks of mite infestations since I started using this approach, and the fly population seems to be less than in previous years.

Of course, one observation might have nothing to do with the other...
tongue.png

I had an infestation of red mites. I used the DE, but it didn't do a whole lot to help. Then I started spraying lavender essential oil (diluted) inside the coop, especially on the roosts and in the nests. I even sprayed the chickens with it - under their wings, back of neck, and around their vents. This seemed to take care of the pesky little things!

Yes. Actually, I've heard of some "old-timers" who used to always have bunches of lavender hanging in their coops. It's the linalool from the lavender that is toxic to red mites. During the infestation, I would always spray my boots, my gloves, and the hood of my jacket before entering the coop. I just wanted to make sure I didn't bring them into the house. If you google it, you'll see that some people have had that happen, and not been able to get rid of them.

Also, whenever I clean the coop, I spray it - top to bottom - with "Thieves" from YL or "Four Robbers" (much cheaper and just as effective) from Birch Hill Happenings. Until the mite episode, in 7 years the only problem I have ever had was a banty with a cold. I attribute the health of my flock to the essential oils. I wouldn't be without them. They are my "medicine of choice" for my animals and my family! I have studied them extensively, actually used to private label my own until I discovered Birch Hill Happenings. You can go on-line for them.

Another thought on oils is:
A LOT of oils have other chemical ingredients in them. The animals could very well be reacting to THOSE chem fillers.
IF you do use oils on animals, research it first and use ONLY Therapeutic grade, organic oils. I have NEVER had a problem with my Young Living oils on anything....but I also do my homework, esp with cats.

I read a fascinating article on the NY Times about oregano & cinnamon bark oil being used as a substitute by a farmer getting away from pumping antibiotics into his chicken farm. I blogged about and the link to that article can be found on my site. You should always be careful administering oils to animals & people. But he is clear that he has tried many other things and this has worked to kill bacteria in his birds.

http://www.essentiallymomma.com/chi...namon-essential-oils-to-keep-chickens-healthy

I have no idea if peppermint oil will harm your poultry. But do remember that when it comes to odors that chickens are birds and that all birds that I am aware of have a low tolerance for polluted air. If this wasn't so then old time miners would not have carried canneries with them into the mine shafts to warn the workers of bad air.
I think you could probably be nicer about your comments in this thread.

I am pretty sure that the purpose of the canaries in the mines was to die first if there was too much carbon monoxide or other gas that was odorless and otherwise undetectable by the miners, who would of course not die unless there were larger amounts of the gas, but they would know it was time to get out if the canary was dead. the bird was an early warning system for colorless odorless dangerous gases. essential oils being highly pungent because they are concentrated is another matter entirely. granted birds are more sensitive and more small than people and can tolerate less of both oils and gases before getting into trouble.

also, if you are not familiar with the thread topic, essential oils, let alone essential oil use with pests and birds, you don't have an obligation to post less than useful comments. essential oils are commonly diluted by being added in small amounts of water or isopropyl alcohol, as well as a wide range of other carrier oils like jojoba, coconut oil, safflower oil, olive oil even. not to mention that this is not the first or only thread on essential oils.
if you havent used essential oils for pest control with your flock, what do you use? have you ever had pest problems? what type of bedding or building material or climate might contribute to having more or less pest problem? I bet you have a lot of great information on those topics.

Last edited:
Yep, Tea Tree Oil, which is as potent an acariside as eprinomectin (kills mites), if applied directly on chooks, could well do the chooks in.

Last edited:
The Best Oil to bug is Doterra bug repellent Blend it is not expensive, no fillers , chemicals or any other things in it, beyond organic and affordable. mix 50 drops in 6 oz water shake shake shake and spray it every where in the coop also on the hens feet for mites works great

Just remember, avian species are not the same as mammals and can be sensitive to aromatics to the point of death, such as tea tree and citronella. Especially, watch for stuff like that in wound ointments, which may not have warnings against using it on birds. Trust me on this.

Back
Top Bottom