Established muscovy attacking newbies

Kaybear1950

Songster
Mar 8, 2018
Yesterday we added two females to our one female one drake flock. They are smaller than both of our original sucks and about 9 months. Our current ducks are full grown and we have had them since September. My set up is a cage with a kiddie pool and dog house. We don't have a huge free range area but big enough for the two smaller ducks to runaway from the two original bigger ducks although they don't. When we brought them home we put them in the pen and the bigger ducks started gnawing on them but not aggressive. The two bigger ducks will sit next to them and chew on their feathers but are not aggressive really. This morning the ducks were less in the newer ones business and tonight the younger ducks are missing feathers and are bleeding, one is even missing skin.we have them in a kennel now but still in the pen so they can see each other but no biting can happen. The bigger ducks are all over that cage. What should I do to integrate the newer ducks more properly? I want to wait until they heal up before letting them out of the kennel but don't know where to go from here.

I introduced two muscovies into my flock recently, they got picked on by my other ones. But over time they got friendly around each other and don't attack each other now. If you were to introduce a new Drake there may be aggressive fights.

I introduced two muscovies into my flock recently, they got picked on by my other ones. But over time they got friendly around each other and don't attack each other now. If you were to introduce a new Drake there may be aggressive fights.
Did they pluck their feathers out and cause open wounds? It' weird cause they aren't attacking for sure and the little ducks just let them do it. I am glad to know it is normal.

Yes and no depends on the ducks but the 2 new ones are outsiders for 1 thing. It's always best to introduce through fencing for a while until both sides get use to each other, the younger ducklings are being submissive that is why they are letting the 2 dominant ones chew them So if you can make a pen in a pen so the 4 can get use to each other but the 2 older ones can't get to the younger new ones yet. Then when you can supervise let them be together for treats. That why they are zeroing in on their tummies instead of the young ones. It takes a bit of time and work but it won't be long till they will b e 1 flock.

Back
Top Bottom