Estimated age and sex of this rescue?

redvespa90

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
This morning I acquired a chicken from a friend who picked it up in the middle of downtown. We suspect it is an escapee from the local chicken plant.

I'd love any help I can get - it sure is an ugly ugly chicken. It has poop all over, but I don't want to hose it off because its so cold outside. I have a baby in the house so I'm a little wary of bringing the chicken inside and possibly giving my son some weird sickness.

Also, its vent area/underside looks EXTREMELY raw and bright red - but I was going to put that in another post.

It's a broiler (Cornish Cross). You're correct that it probably escaped from a factory somehow. Sometimes they just fall off one of the trucks when taken in for processing.

The FDA prohibits the use of growth horomones. What you are seeing instead is just the unfortunate result of the hybridization, and years of commercial genetic manipulation. This hybrid grows exponentially fast, especially when it has unrestricted access to feed. The reason it's bottom is raw is that they don't like to walk because it's hard to do for them, and the hatchery keeps them in close confined cages.

It's hard to say what you should do with this young one. They normally grow until they die from their own weight. Some people have had luck with restricting their food, but I'm not sure about the success rate with that.

Edited to add: I wouldn't worry about diseases. Most chicken diseases can't be passed to humans. Not only that, but this bird clearly came from a commercial facility, where it would have been wormed and dosed with antibiotics within an inch of it's life. Just make sure to wash your hands between touching the chicken and the baby (baby's items).

Last edited:
Are meat birds both sexes?

I'm wanting to keep her as long as I can. Hopefully she will live a mediocre chicken life, and not be eaten for quite some time. If its a rooster, I won't be able to keep him. we've upset the neighbors with our last 3 roosters.

It's a broiler (Cornish Cross).  You're correct that it probably escaped from a factory somehow.  Sometimes they just fall off one of the trucks when taken in for processing.

The FDA prohibits the use of growth horomones.  What you are seeing instead is just the unfortunate result of the hybridization, and years of commercial genetic manipulation.  This hybrid grows exponentially fast, especially when it has unrestricted access to feed.  The reason it's bottom is raw is that they don't like to walk because it's hard to do for them, and the hatchery keeps them in close confined cages.

It's hard to say what you should do with this young one.  They normally grow until they die from their own weight.  Some people have had luck with restricting their food, but I'm not sure about the success rate with that.

Edited to add:  I wouldn't worry about diseases.  Most chicken diseases can't be passed to humans.  Not only that, but this bird clearly came from a commercial facility, where it would have been wormed and dosed with antibiotics within an inch of it's life.  Just make sure to wash your hands between touching the chicken and the baby (baby's items).

Agree.

Its nice to know you are able and willing to provide this "little" gal with a home. She will have a much more enjoyable life on your farm. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom