Ethical dellima and we are perplexed about killing raccoons

Seems to me that you will be chasing your tail if you trap raccoons while your neighbor continues to feed them. In my option, if you do trap them, then euthanizing them is the best option (but still disgusting IMO). I think a very well trained live stock guardian dog is one option. OR is there any way you could install an electric fence to keep the coons out?

I just make it a point to find out what the people are feeding them and use this as bait it shortens my trapping time greatly

I was quiet upset and told the raccoon lol not to come over in certain area.
For some reason, I put up the cage and peanut butter in the cage that coons like, they have not come over.

I think they listened to me.
yuckyuck.gif
I truly hope your trying to be funny and mess with folks

Yes, coons can and WILL get through plastic roofing, they did with ours. That day/ night we lost 5 of 7 girls. The two that survived were the darkest and on the highest perches... the opening they got through was VERY small and they tore back roofing to get to it.

I seem to be the only one, whenever this comes up, thats into being humane/practical. I understand killing the coon(I have only killed 3 in 9 yrs. of chickendom) but if you decide to kill it drowning is a much longer terrifying kill and too many choose drowning because its "neater" "kinder" to THE HUMAN. Very sad. I tell you, when I trap IF I catch a coon/opossum(most common traps) I spray paint their back and give them hell before releasing(briefly!) and have NEVER had a repeat offender. cats get altered if needed(don't trap many cats). Back to drowning(Gosh people are horrid) If done with the trap then the trap is prone to become disabled more quickly. The neighbor feeding on purpose is a HUGE problem BUT, back to killing, IF you decide to kill PLZ find someone with backbone to at least shoot it quickly(and like I said-I have had great success with trap/spray paint back/give em a yelling at/releasing.) Please be humane(and yes I eat meat-but I respect the food I eat prior to killing it).

We have a "Wildlife Sanctuary" about 10 miles away from us where we release any skunks we trap. Coons do not get relocated. I agree 100% about the drowning part. No creature deserves to be tortured for doing what nature tells it to do. We are all creatures trying to survive the best way we know how. If you have something they want, they will come after it. It's part of the deal when you have chickens or any other animal around. We leave food out, wouldn't we wonder if no wild animal showed any interest??

I appreciate your philosophy of trying not to harm other creatures while doing everything you can to make sure that your own beloved pets are kept safe!
smile.png
Because of your situation (the neighbor feeding the wildlife), there are always going to be raccoons in your area. You could probably trap one every day for the rest of your neighbor's life...lol!! On the plus side, if he/she is feeding them, at least they shouldn't be hungry!! So a duck dinner probably isn't dancing around in their little coon heads. But even if it is, you've built a very secure area for your ducks, so I think you and your ducks will be just fine! Enjoy your pretty flock
smile.png

body grip trap is the quickest and quietest way to dispatch in town
And with this sort of recommendation you kill many OTHER critters that probably have NO intention of bothering the fowl. I understand people shouldn't let6 their cats run amuk but to die this way is not sweet.(except to the human sometimes-sic)

A raccoon once trapped and released is bound to never be trapped again. But... It will return. I had one escape a trap one time and had a devil of a time getting it trapped a second time.

When you dispatch one, always give it a second shot to the head.

A raccoon once trapped and released is bound to never be trapped again. But... It will return. I had one escape a trap one time and had a devil of a time getting it trapped a second time.

Exactly! This is why so many people believe that they never have a repeat offender. It's also why it's bad to relocate a coon; the next farmer won't be able to trap the animal.

Back
Top Bottom