Ethical dellima and we are perplexed about killing raccoons

I agree with several of the posters here regarding not taking pleasure out of killing the raccoons, or whatever the animal may be. I have trapped coons, possums, and a skunk. I am into year three with chickens and guineas and have learned a lot along the way. The first thing was that if I care about what happens to my birds, I have to take steps to protect them. What started out as a small coop is now an enclosed 10x30 run with a roof, rocks buried at base of fence (2ft. out) all around to prevent anything from digging under, side door leading to a 5 ft. fenced in area where the chickens spend most of the day. Most of the time, most of the guineas fly out at some point and time during the day. The birds are let out of the fence in the evening under my supervision and all go back into the run at night.

Made the decision to go vegetarian earlier this year, mainly out of respect for living things. The traps are set on a regular basis out of protection for my birds. I guess one could argue the point that I have brought domesticated/semi-domesticated animals into an area where predators are and therefore, I am intruding on the predators. Anyway, when I have to kill the predator I do it as quickly as possible with a firearm.

When I got the birds, I had no idea how many (for me) ethical decisions I would have to make. Guess in the end, we all have to live with our decisions.

If you're killing bats than don't complain about mosquito's, fly's or any other winged pest.

There are approximately 1½ million Mexican free-tailed bats that live under the Congress Avenue Bridge here in downtown Austin, Texas. A well-publicized tourist attraction, the bridge bats attract tens of thousands of people each summer to watch the bats emerge in the evenings on their nightly insect hunts. No human case of bat-transmitted rabies has ever been recorded in Austin or surrounding communities.

According to World Health Organization, more than 55,000 people are estimated to die of rabies each year worldwide, primarily from contact with rabid dogs

Should we kill all dogs we see?
hu.gif

If you're killing bats than don't complain about mosquito's, fly's or any other winged pest.

There are approximately 1½ million Mexican free-tailed bats that live under the Congress Avenue Bridge here in downtown Austin, Texas. A well-publicized tourist attraction, the bridge bats attract tens of thousands of people each summer to watch the bats emerge in the evenings on their nightly insect hunts. No human case of bat-transmitted rabies has ever been recorded in Austin or surrounding communities.

According to World Health Organization, more than 55,000 people are estimated to die of rabies each year worldwide, primarily from contact with rabid dogs

Should we kill all dogs we see? :confused:

x2

It is a long slippery slope that leads to an impossible and horrific task of eliminating nearly all animals around you...then more can always arrive. I plan on protecting my chickens with a good coop and run, possibly electric fence, and leave it at that. And yes we do have all those predators around....from fishers to bears. It's not that I don't believe in protecting myself, chickens, friends, family, and future children - I just think I can do it without going to those extremes.

I for one love watching bats on summer evenings, but maybe I'm odd.

Removeing chances for pests and predetors to have acess to food water and shelter and makeing it impossible to reach your chickens is the best way to handle it. Poisons poison everything good and bad includeing ground water , top soil ect. Traps catch anything and dosnt care if its someones beloved pet or an endangerd spiecies ect. Removeing some animals includeing predetors can throw things out of balance and make other pest breed to huge uncontroled numbers. A sturdy coop , and any defenses you need are better then killing anything that gets in your way. GOod luck

Should we kill all dogs we see?
hu.gif
And where do you think the dogs got the rabies?

And where do you think the dogs got the rabies?
My guess would be fleas, but that road leads us to the discussion of which came first, the chicken or the egg, doesn't it?

Quote:
Removeing some animals includeing predetors can throw things out of balance and make other pest breed to huge uncontroled numbers.
It's the rule of unintended consequences.

Gabrielle (What a lovely name.
smile.png
) makes a good point. Anyone remember the "Save the Seals" movement? Did you ever wonder why that movement has fell into disfavor (except for the few, hardcore save everything folk)?

My first thought was, "What eats seals?" The answer, "Sharks!" So if we save the seals who benefits? Yep, the shark. The number of sharks and shark attacks skyrocketed on both coasts as seal populations grew.

Than came another consequence that I hadn't even considered. What do seals eat? Read about it here:

http://www.workingwaterfront.com/ar...the-Northeast-coast-alarming-fishermen/12235/

My all time favorite author, Robert A. Heinlein in his novel, Glory Road says; "Disturbing the ecology of a planet is something to be approached with much trepidation and a very versatile computer."

Last edited:
I remove a lot of predators from my place to protect my gardens and stock. But i would never kill a bat. I have a number of bat houses to attract them.

I love to see the bats in the evening, eating their weight in insects every night. I read somewhere that the bat populations in the U.S. is actually in the midst of a pandemic that is drastically reducing their population. Can't recall the name of the problem.

I don't actively hunt or trap predators that stay in the woods around the farm (which goes for several miles in every directions). However any coyote, raccoon, skunk or weasel that gets near the coop is fair game. In season, I'll also trap mink, fisher, beaver and the "ermine" (white-phase weasel), but that's a trapping-deal not just a chicken-protection deal.

Back
Top Bottom