Eurasian collared dove dying from cat bite?

Maggiel01

Hatching
Mar 10, 2018
Hi I just wanted to ask if doves always die from cat bites?I found a gorgeous eurasian collared dove yesterday in my backyard & seen she couldn’t fly & was just standing in the corner.I quickly went to get it & put it in a shoe box.Her injuries were heartbreaking:( She had been what appeared to be bitten by a cat & a bloody eye & its beak was just completely crooked.It was 4pm & my local wildlife rehabilitation was closed so i wrapped it in my shirt,layed it in the box,obviously with holes on the top,& left water & food inside.i set it in an empty room also.I began researching & I had gotten hope because I read sometimes the beak’s a deformity from lack of calcium?I was so afraid of it not making it until morning,so I checked around 1am & she was sleeping so beautifully & looked at me with such a stare it kind of made me cry.Anyway,I took her this morning at 9 & the whole way there she was staring at me from the holes poked in the box.When I got there the lady didn’t seem too nice & just grabbed it from me & put it in a type of box/cage of their own.She said the person who cured the birds wasn’t there but that she didn’t think it’d make it but the bird was sitting up right:(I said if that was the case I wanted to properly bury it since I felt a strong connection but obviously I knew she wasn’t going to say yes.I left that place shattered wondering if I did the right thing of taking it:( What if it has strength to survive but they don’t see it:( What if I could of saved it.I keep calling but no answer.The older lady didn’t seem too fond of it and just put it away like it was nothing.I’m completely heart broken & just want to know if it had hope or if it was going to pass eventually :(I look at the picture I took of it & can’t help but cry & feel like I let it down(the picture is when I first captured it & needed to identify it as I had no knowledge of birds)

Attachments

• ED741494-4ED6-49CC-B602-F9500F581CB8.jpeg
    ED741494-4ED6-49CC-B602-F9500F581CB8.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 37
Hi @Maggiel01

I'm so sorry that you are sad.
In the photo this Dove has a cross beak which is usually a genetic deformity, but it could be due to lack of essential nutrients. Having a cross beak can make it difficult for a bird to eat properly and survive.

Wounds from a cat bite can sometimes be survived, depending on how much damage was done. Sometimes there may be unseen internal damage from being crushed in the mouth or from being played with like cats sometimes do.

Hopefully you will hear back from the wildlife rehab about your pretty dove. I hope it's good news - if it isn't, just know that you did the best you could and gave her comfort while she was in your care.

:hugs You did the right thing, that "old" lady shouldn't be working there if she has/shows no compassion. However, I've dealt with injured wild life, it's best to leave it to the "experts". 2x Wyorp Rock

Hi @Maggiel01

I'm so sorry that you are sad.
In the photo this Dove has a cross beak which is usually a genetic deformity, but it could be due to lack of essential nutrients. Having a cross beak can make it difficult for a bird to eat properly and survive.

Wounds from a cat bite can sometimes be survived, depending on how much damage was done. Sometimes there may be unseen internal damage from being crushed in the mouth or from being played with like cats sometimes do.

Hopefully you will hear back from the wildlife rehab about your pretty dove. I hope it's good news - if it isn't, just know that you did the best you could and gave her comfort while she was in your care.
Yes i told her that & she didn’t even know about it being a deformity.I was expecting some real expertise but she just seemed clueless.I have called all day with no luck but now I’m thinking if it’s best to stop because I wouldn’t want to hear something I know will hurt even more.I’m doing better today though,thanks for replying.

:hugs You did the right thing, that "old" lady shouldn't be working there if she has/shows no compassion. However, I've dealt with injured wild life, it's best to leave it to the "experts". 2x Wyorp Rock
That’s what I thought.She set it aside like it was a book or something.Didn’t really seem too expert either,she didn’t even know about beak deformities.

Will make a good dinner for the eagles and owls on rehabilitation. Yes, I'm being brutally honest but we are adults and life is not always nice.

Is obvious that is a domestic animal. This is not exactly wildlife. There is not point in sapping their limited resources (given by donors to care for injured endangered species) in one domestic animal that is just too common and would not survive in the wild with this deformed beak.

Please if you find a attacked rogue chicken in the future, do not take them to this kind of centers. They were not created for this kind of emergencies and will be the next meal for some predator with a broken wing. Take care from then at home by yourself or pay for the services of a vet.

Last edited:
Will make a good dinner for the eagles and owls on rehabilitation. Yes, I'm being brutally honest but we are adults and life is not always nice.

Is obvious that is a domestic animal. This is not exactly wildlife. There is not point in sapping their limited resources (given by donors to care for injured endangered species) in one domestic animal that is just too common and would not survive in the wild with this deformed beak.

Please if you find a attacked rogue chicken in the future, do not take them to this kind of centers. They were not created for this kind of emergencies and will be the next meal for some predator with a broken wing. Take care from then at home by yourself or pay for the services of a vet.
Omg I made it worse then:( wow

Back
Top Bottom