Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Hi bayocum and welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Where are you located?

welcome-byc.gif

I hatched 11 of them on Easter Weekend.

I am pretty sure I will have three of four extra Roosters.

I am in California.

Ron
I have a small little flock of EO's and looking to add an outside Rooster for breeding. Very excited about these little ones!

Ditto in Michigan, I have 19 from the Easter hatch.

2 of the chicks I hatched are so far still white at 2 1/2 weeks. Any consensus on how this came about? I see some willow legs developing too, but overall the chicks look healthy and active. I had one that did itself in at 1 1/2 weeks, I think it bonked the heat lamp - found it dead in the cage with a full crop and normal appearing in every way. I may be doing some rearranging soon to try to get these little guys some outdoor time, but so far the weather here is not cooperating, mostly highs in the 40's with occasional 50's and freezing at night. Our one and only day of 70 was way back in March with none forecasted anytime soon, so they may stay Garage chicks for a while.

2 of the chicks I hatched are so far still white at 2 1/2 weeks. Any consensus on how this came about?

I have one white pullet as well. With the relatively limited gene pool on this continent, I suspect we have some "rogue" alleles that need to be culled out. Perhaps dominant white masking gene or some dilution gene. My white girl has white legs instead of yellow too. She's pretty but she's still going in my layer flock. Except for my silkies, I'm not interested in breeding white chickens.

As a side note, I just rec'd my copy of Sigrid's book, Genetics of Chicken Colours, the Basics. Still reading but HIGHLY recommend it to anyone wanting to get a handle on all these colors!

Mine are the same age. The three of us were part of the Easter Hatch. All of mine are doing very well. I have them in the Garage in a chicken Hutch. Yesterday after work I lifted the roof to get them more water. When I came back, one of them was up at the side looking down at the new water. I could tell the distance looked to far and the chick looked up at me and then down at the water. I moved my hand over towards it's feet and He calmly stepped onto my finger and let me move him to the water. Quite different from the FBC Marans I hatched the week before. I have the FBCMs outside now and they love it. Here in North Central California, the temps are ranging from 45 to 64 degrees. I have an Ecoglow 20 in the Hutch for them. They love it out there. In another couple of weeks I will be selling and processing and should be able to get the Basque out there too.

My 11 EO Basque have the normal colors. Some are darker than the others and it looks to me like they all have yellow legs. I will try to look more tonight and maybe get a picture or two. Sorry you lost the one
hugs.gif
. I lost a partridge rock a couple of months ago--it got stuck between the side of the brooder and the ecoglow and died there. Ecogolows are nice, but you still have to be careful with them. I put space fillers there now.

Ron

Ron, you have your EcoGlow outside? How is that doing for you? I reallly want to put my Easter chicks outside in their grow-out pen, but it has been in the low 40s at night and I wasn't sure that the EcoGlow could keep up. I would make my life a lot easier if I could move them outside. Do you think they'd be okay with temps in the 40s and just the EcoGlow 20? I'm nervous about the idea, but I have more chicks hatching this weekend, a 20 page paper to write to finish my master's, a spare EcoGlow, and an extension cord....

I am not sure on the sexes of all of my chicks yet. Here are half of them from Monday....

And the rest (I crashed Power Point while working on it and didn't feel like doing the second three again...)

Blue Left

Yellow

And Pink (uncooperative little thing... kept trying to run away.)

I think Orange, Green, and Yellow are definitely boys. I think Blue R and Blue L are definitely girls, and I am undecided on Pink. I love the strong barring on little Yellow roo, but I am thinking that means that he is heterozygous. What do you think? I realllly want a roo with nice yellow legs and homozygous barring, even though I know those are "paint" and not structure. As of the moment, all three potential roos are very big and robust, but I won't go with an undersized fellow if they grow out unevenly. How do these guys compare with what you are seeing?

Ron, you have your EcoGlow outside? How is that doing for you? I reallly want to put my Easter chicks outside in their grow-out pen, but it has been in the low 40s at night and I wasn't sure that the EcoGlow could keep up. I would make my life a lot easier if I could move them outside. Do you think they'd be okay with temps in the 40s and just the EcoGlow 20? I'm nervous about the idea, but I have more chicks hatching this weekend, a 20 page paper to write to finish my master's, a spare EcoGlow, and an extension cord....

I am not sure on the sexes of all of my chicks yet. Here are half of them from Monday....

And the rest (I crashed Power Point while working on it and didn't feel like doing the second three again...)

Blue Left

Yellow

And Pink (uncooperative little thing... kept trying to run away.)

I think Orange, Green, and Yellow are definitely boys. I think Blue R and Blue L are definitely girls, and I am undecided on Pink. I love the strong barring on little Yellow roo, but I am thinking that means that he is heterozygous. What do you think? I realllly want a roo with nice yellow legs and homozygous barring, even though I know those are "paint" and not structure. As of the moment, all three potential roos are very big and robust, but I won't go with an undersized fellow if they grow out unevenly. How do these guys compare with what you are seeing?
Oh, too bad you think that orange is a boy, because that is what my chicks that I am hoping might be girls all look like!
th.gif

I do think I have one girl, though. Maybe this weekend I can take some photos.

Back
Top Bottom