Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

pullets yes....roos usually have some amount of black bar as well as the brown and white. The one with the reddish comb is different than any of mine I have seen though. Is it a single comb? Hard to see in pic.

pullets yes....roos usually have some amount of black bar as well as the brown and white. The one with the reddish comb is different than any of mine I have seen though. Is it a single comb? Hard to see in pic.

They look like pea combs and if so they are crossed with something.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I felt like they could be all be pullets. Funny how the one time you want a roo, you get all pullets.

It's a single but it's flatten to the side.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I felt like they could be all be pullets. Funny how the one time you want a roo, you get all pullets.

I'm going to back up and punt - the red faced rumpless look more like a male to me on second thought. 1) the size of the white barring looks looks like two copies of the barring gene, not the one copy that the girls get, and 2) my girls don't get red in the face until their comb and wattles are a little bigger than the one in question... It's almost like they grow their comb and wattles and then they flush about two weeks out from POL, (for me, that's about 22-24wks)

I'm going to back up and punt - the red faced rumpless look more like a male to me on second thought. 1) the size of the white barring looks looks like two copies of the barring gene, not the one copy that the girls get, and 2) my girls don't get red in the face until their comb and wattles are a little bigger than the one in question... It's almost like they grow their comb and wattles and then they flush about two weeks out from POL, (for me,  that's about 22-24wks)

I've been suspicious of it. He's the more outgoing and talkative.

Boys are definitely more outgoing and curious as youngters. They are often fearless, and are the ones I always trip over in my yard, because they not only WANT to be picked up, but demand it!

Rare Feathers

I have the opposite problem this year. We are getting 2 and 3 times the cockerels to our pullets. The ratio isn't even close to balanced.
Boys are definitely more outgoing and curious as youngters. They are often fearless, and are the ones I always trip over in my yard, because they not only WANT to be picked up, but demand it!

Rare Feathers
Yes, take care going into the pen with manicured toes. They will get pecked through your sandals. Actually, we have one little guy that thinks he is part cat. He keeps getting tossed from ankle to ankle because he gets between my feet when I'm walking. Funny little dude.

@ CackleJoy "Yes, take care going into the pen with manicured toes. They will get pecked through your sandals. Actually, we have one little guy that thinks he is part cat. He keeps getting tossed from ankle to ankle because he gets between my feet when I'm walking. Funny little dude."

You made me laugh because that is the same things my EO's do if I go in with sandals and they see my painted toes. peck peck LOL

I too have a few hens that like to run around my feet, have stepped on way too many toes!!! Then they scream
D.gif
and the rooster takes a double look at me as if to say "what did you do to my hens"
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom