Euthanasia- which is the nicest way to put a chicken down?

bantymum

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
4 hours from Sydney Australia
Hi, I know this is a sad subject but I would like to know other peoples methods of euthanising should a situation arise and I need to perform the task.
I have used a vet who used isoflourine gas followed by injection when bird was asleep.
When vet was unavailable I used a long butchers knife.
Ive heard of carbon monoxide gas from car exhaust but that seems morbid.
does anyone have nice ways to do it in case i need to do it again.

Lots of folks use different thing but IMHO a hatchet to the neck is the best way to do it. Its over quick.

I think the only way to do it is to cut their heads off. It might be really gross for you but I think it is the most humane. The other methods are slow and if they go wrong can cause pain and suffering. Cutting off their heads is the hardest for you but the other methods are hardest for them. The vet method is ideal but vets are usually far away and too expensive.

well the answer is clear...i know that it seems bad but i don't run a chicken hospital and i don't know anyone who want's to buy sick chickens so when it has to be done it's better to just ring the ol neck and keep the rest of the flock healthy! actually culling is the best way to improve your flock. cornishman.:thun

Cut the head off and as long as you do it quick and complete, the chicken will never know what happened. I use a hatchet. Don't just tap it, you have to put some force into it. OH, and DON'T MISS! My granny taught me at a young age.
old.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking about this and the possibility of raising meat birds in the future. Just not sure if I have the guts or the aim to use a hatchet. I've been reading about the cones that are used to hold the chicken which is appealing to me. Everywhere I read says to put the chicken head first in the cone and "remove the head" but doesn't say how. Can anyone help me with this? I'm really wondering what you're supposed to use to remove the head that's quick and effective. Thanks, Jen

Thanks everyone, I just thought there may have been some other ways.
Well I think that decapitation is the kindest for them if vet is out of question. Ive seen a vet put down a hen by injection and it took too long for her to go to god.
When I had to put down my 2 little roosters I found an old beanie of my son's and cut a little hole in the top just enough for the head to poke through. Im sorry this sounds bad but it had to be done. Anyway I placed the beanie over the roo so that his little head poked out then I wrapped him snuggly so he couldnt move, the beanie was also nice and soft for him, I could get a firm grip with 1 hand on the beanie .
I then used a 1 foot long butchers cleaver, and it only took 1 hit to do the task.
Yes it was horrible but very quick. I then buried them with tears and rose petals.

Jen when using a cone you MUST have a REALLY SHARP KNIFE. I am talking sharp enough that if I slid it over my hairy arm the arm would be bald without trying.

Back
Top Bottom