Euthanisation in Australia cost?

bonandtam

Chirping
Jul 23, 2023
Hi, my hen (Tammie) has not been doing well, she is around 2 years. I have posted multiple updates on this chicky, but i have accepted that she is getting worse as time goes on and it’s an issue that is too far gone for me to solve it for her. I have done all i can to make her comfortable, she has been spoilt with numerous treats and warm baths, she’s been eating and drinking well, but has not been pooping anything out now. As i thought she is getting better, it’s really just getting her worse in a sense. But she keeps hanging on! A part of me wants her to drift away, just so she isn’t suffering, but she is still here. I am just a person who loves animals and owns chickens, so i do not have the braveness to do a at home euthanise what so ever :hit

So, does anyone know how much a vet visit to just euthanise a chicken would be? Especially in Australia, Melbourne, if anyone is from.

Photos of Tammie now, and Tammie with her friends when she was younger.
She sits in the corner all day, and no poop.

Attachments

• 095C672B-B0BD-4B1E-9B13-B4807424B2E1.jpeg
    095C672B-B0BD-4B1E-9B13-B4807424B2E1.jpeg
    771.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 09A3A7EA-2089-4222-BB04-A2E0C02AD415.jpeg
    09A3A7EA-2089-4222-BB04-A2E0C02AD415.jpeg
    693.9 KB · Views: 11
I am sorry it has come to this. No clue to the answer to your question though, I am in America. Suggest you call a veterinarian in your area and ask. :hugs

Poor girl. You did everything you could for her. :hugs It is a hard thing to say goodbye, but it is the best thing for her to not be suffering. My favorite thing a vet said to me was “What are 10 things that pet loves to do? When they stop doing 7 of those things, that’s when their quality of life isn’t good and the time to say goodbye.” I’ve lived by those words for every single pet I’ve had to say goodbye to. Either it be a dog, chicken, or fish.

In the USA (Washington state to be exact) the cost of the original visit (just advice and the bird vet checking her) was around $70. At that time I knew she would be coming to the vet again to be euthanized. The vet gave us a flat number then of roughly around $120 for euthanasia + an autopsy (I wanted/needed to know what her issue was to notify the breeder if it was anything genetic related). The main issue was finding a vet to euthanize a bird as most places won’t do it.

Poor girl. You did everything you could for her. :hugs It is a hard thing to say goodbye, but it is the best thing for her to not be suffering. My favorite thing a vet said to me was “What are 10 things that pet loves to do? When they stop doing 7 of those things, that’s when their quality of life isn’t good and the time to say goodbye.” I’ve lived by those words for every single pet I’ve had to say goodbye to. Either it be a dog, chicken, or fish.

In the USA (Washington state to be exact) the cost of the original visit (just advice and the bird vet checking her) was around $70. At that time I knew she would be coming to the vet again to be euthanized. The vet gave us a flat number then of roughly around $120 for euthanasia + an autopsy (I wanted/needed to know what her issue was to notify the breeder if it was anything genetic related). The main issue was finding a vet to euthanize a bird as most places won’t do it.
So Sorry you had to go through with that :hugs I do love what the vet has said. I think the price may be similar here, but yes i worry i cannot find a place. Im here because so desperate for answers because vets are closed today so i have to ring up places tomorrow. Thankyou🤍

Back
Top Bottom