euthanizing chicken

Did you ever try this or get an answer to your question?
I'm trying to find a gentle way to put one of my chickens down.
Thank you.

I know this is an old thread, but after reading it I have to respond. I love this site, but it is plain that there are two different kinds of people who subscribe. Chicken people who do chickens as business and chicken people who have chickens as pets. I think it is absolutely absurd when someone who has a chicken as a pet asks for advice on this forum, and some chicken business person answers with a business attitude...... And then gives them crap about the kind of parent they are because they can't do horrible things to their pet......PLEASE! How many people chop off their dog or cats head when they are suffering????? Please be a little more sensitive for goodness sakes.
I am taking my 10 year old chicken to the vet today to have her euthanized same as I would any other family pet.
This is such a great help to so many people; just please find out which kind of chicken owner you are dealing with. And do not chastise them for being one or the other!

I am sad to say I just had to put a chick down. But now reading about a slipped tendon I am feeling horrible. Maybe I should have read this a while after but wanted to post that many of your (reading your posts) had helped a lot! My baby had a leg she couldn't walk on anymore. We separated her from the rest of the brood and in two week period they were rapidly growing while she just stood up only to fall over again. So I just put her down. It's the first time I have ever done such a thing. My first try with chickens too. This is what I did based on many comments and it did work. I took a very large Tupperware box and put it on the floor. I put the chick in a smaller tupperware about her body size a little bigger with some fresh pine shavings. I placed an upside down bowl in the center of the larger box and placed her box on top of that bowl, so her little box was then elevated inside the larger one. I sprinkled a lot of baking soda in the large box. With the lid and a blanket handy (because I did not want to watch) I quickly poured in a ton of vinegar and shut the lid on the large box. I felt her move only one time. After about 2 min or so I looked in the side and could see her slowly breathing so I freaked thinking I had not put in enough mixture and added more. She slowly just fell asleep. It was terrible and I feel awful. I took her out back, buried her and even put a little stone garden sign over her. I wish to not do this again and it will be my spouses job. But just for the record and the sake of the forum this does work. She went peacefully, no cold, no agony, just fell asleep. Clean and simple.
God Bless all you chicken lovers and thanks for all the advice I found on here today!
Angie Christine
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom