Evacuation with Chickens

Beckechick

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2020
I would love to hear people’s experiences in evacuating with their chickens from the fires burning now in CA, and from other disasters. I apologize for my computer ignorance: maybe there’s a thread already and I can’t find it?
I do want to tell our story, so here goes:
We were almost packed. We had just found out we had a place we could stay with our 5 chickens and the cat. (We are very lucky. I am so thankful.) Then a sheriff drove up to the house and said, “leave now”. I had read on line, I think BYC, that I could cut a hole in the corner of a pillow slip and then wrap the slip around the chicken with tape. We only had two pet carriers and the cat was in one. So I was out back stuffing pillow cases, had to get some gelp with the tape. I never dreamed I’d have to evacuate chickens. Now I know if you have animals you have to have an evacuation plan and a destination for each one. There they were, three pitiful little chicken packages. I’m going to stop now and see if/how this thread-post-thing works. I’ve never done it.

Welcome to BYC, sorry you have to evacuate. What city are you in? Anyway, you can stuff the chickens in just about anything, cardboard box with air holes cut in, or pillow cases, or even feed sacks (two per feed sack is okay).
We ended up taking them out of the cases and putting them into a crate with a wire top. They looked so pitiful all tied up! We were evacuated from Felton and drove 2.5 hours to Davis.

Many years ago with the Little Bear fire here in New Mexico, being that we live in a remote area in the foothills, the authorities didn't know anyone lived down in our valley. And knowing that if we left to go to town, we would not be able to return home, we stayed put even though a 10 mile radius was under evacuation orders. There was no way we could have evaluated with chickens, quail, goats, horses, dogs and parrots. :D And we couldn't abandon them either! But wow, it was apocalyptic proportions as the fire roared right past us. Ash and embers fell from the sky like snow, air so acrid it burned the lungs, visibility of 1/2 to 1/4 mile, air tankers flew so low dropping slurry, I swore I could see the pilots in their seats they came so close. (I think they were the only ones that knew we were here.) Flames shooting 100 feet into the air as pine trees went up like exploding bombs, it was absolutely terrifying! We didn't sleep for 3 days until the fire was past us. It's a wonder none of the livestock died from smoke inhalation, although some of them did become sick, thankfully recovering later. Never again will we NOT evacuate!! :D

Many years ago with the Little Bear fire here in New Mexico, being that we live in a remote area in the foothills, the authorities didn't know anyone lived down in our valley. And knowing that if we left to go to town, we would not be able to return home, we stayed put even though a 10 mile radius was under evacuation orders. There was no way we could have evaluated with chickens, quail, goats, horses, dogs and parrots. :D And we couldn't abandon them either! But wow, it was apocalyptic proportions as the fire roared right past us. Ash and embers fell from the sky like snow, air so acrid it burned the lungs, visibility of 1/2 to 1/4 mile, air tankers flew so low dropping slurry, I swore I could see the pilots in their seats they came so close. (I think they were the only ones that knew we were here.) Flames shooting 100 feet into the air as pine trees went up like exploding bombs, it was absolutely terrifying! We didn't sleep for 3 days until the fire was past us. It's a wonder none of the livestock died from smoke inhalation, although some of them did become sick, thankfully recovering later. Never again will we NOT evacuate!! :D
What a dilemma, to have to evacuate and not be able to! We almost had to leave our chickens behind. So far, we could have stayed with no fire closer than about a mile away. I can imagine the reactions of your chickens. Ours freaked out this morning when the garbage truck clattered up and down the street, and then freaked out again when the recycling truck came by. They're country girls.

Welcome!
I see the pictures from these fires and am totally horrified! Please be safe, and let us know when you arrive in a safer location. I'm so sorry, and am glad that you have prepared, and can manage to get your animals to safety.
All the best,
Mary
We evacuated on the 20th and have been adjusting the chicken quarters ever since. I think we have it all set now. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom