Evaluation please *graphic* (not emergency, but not good)

@DabblinDuckDabbler how is your duck doing?
Pretty well, all things considered. Her eyes are starting to drain all the crud, and the terramycin just arrived yesterday, so adding a dose of that twice daily along with the warm saline compresses. Her eyes are still mostly shut, but she can definitely see movement - She always quacks when I come into the bathroom, and when I sat outside with her in my lap, she tilted her head to track a large bird overhead.

Breathing is much improved; I think there was some dried blood in her nasal passages that was making her struggle a bit, but I think it has since cleared out with saline irrigation.

Her head wound still looks scary, but is pink and moist, not looking or smelling infected.

I ordered some aqua mox to run an internal course of antibiotics based on recommendations here. It’s still on the way. I’m wondering, if she continues to improve, should I skip it? And if I should administer - just a 250 mg capsule a day for 10 days? Any wisdom on how to administer oral meds to a duck? :confused:

Her overall demeanor is very normal— quite plucky, confused why she isn’t out with the other ducks, and very happy with her twice daily private baths. Other than the gaping gash on her head, you’d never guess she was nearly killed three nights ago!

Update:
Two weeks on, this lil girl is thriving despite the punk do (“un”-do?). She lost one eye, but seems to largely have forgotten the bald patch except when she tries to preen and it looks like it - just doesn’t *feel right* to her. She’s moved from ICU to long term care and enjoys her daily shower/bath.

Unfortunately, coons came a night or two later right around dusk and nearly made off with my old girl (no longer laying, but enjoying comfy retirement). She got off with a lightly nibbled leg, but only because my beautiful Roo gave his life for her. 😫

Been a hard time at the Dabblin place, and we miss our Roo, but the old girl is back in the yard, and our OG Hammie Duck’s solid recovery makes it bearable.

Hammie and Roo came together from the same farm, and she was always sweet on him— she’d do her flirty head bobs for the Roo more than for the drakes. Wonder if she’ll be looking for him when she get back out to the yard. 🥺

Attachments

• E5641D1D-3457-44A6-8E11-1BEAFE826278.jpeg
    E5641D1D-3457-44A6-8E11-1BEAFE826278.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 76CED714-991C-4917-BC1F-D3C1F975EE56.jpeg
    76CED714-991C-4917-BC1F-D3C1F975EE56.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom