even vs. odd flock

northerncaliforniachick

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 1, 2009
sonoma county
How important do you think it is to have an even number of chicks in a small flock? I planned to have 4 chickens but ended up getting a 5th incase something happens to one (like it is a roo that I can't keep). Someone recently got me worried that they should always be kept in even numbers so that each one has a pal- is this true? Will one be left out or will they all just hang out together? Right now they seem very happy together (they are only 2 weeks old). My husband was upset when I came home with #5 and I just cant see bringing 'just one more' home. and there is still the possibility that at least 1 will be a rooster, right?

my chicks don't buddy up in pairs, I have 10 full grown chickens they split up 4, 3, 2 and one loner by choice. My younger group of 14 (about 12 weeks old) are still figuring out their groups but there is a group of 5 that are almost always together.

I think the only time it becomes important to have 2 at a time is when introducing new chickens to an established flock. Putting just one alone into an established flock can concentrate a lot of abuse on the new comer as she tries to get into the clique but if you put 2 or more in they will buddy with each other and slowly just integrate into the flock.

If you ever have to integrate a full grown rooster into an established flock where there already is a single full grown rooster, that causes the most problems. There is a lot of fighting then to determine who is the top roo. It can be lessened by introducing the roo with a few hens of his own so he can just have his little flock and avoid a confrontation of trying to steal hens.

Quote:
lau.gif

thank you all so much! I am such a 'new mother worrywart'! I just want for them to be happy- since I adore them sooooo much and then someone 'planted the seed' of worry! I'll go back to relaxing (until something else sets me off about my chicks!).
thanks for taking the time to respond!

Quote:
May I suggest a good reference book? GO to www.alibris.com and search 'poultry' or 'chickens' under title search. Many good ones will pop up and most for under ten dollars, many under $5.

BYC is good, and you get a lot of information - sometimes too much.
Nothing is as comforting as a concise reference manual to search in for answers in, while you are waiting for responses here.

Back
Top Bottom