Evening Coop Drama with 11 hens

So the entire space says it will hold 20 chickens - I was not making it up.
So, I'm concerned about this company, and the misleading information they advertise with. So sorry you are having these issues, when you were led to believe you had enough room. If you still want to keep all your flock, it's only logical to expand, or add to the existing one. Can you leave a review on the product? Hopefully you can inform others who may buy one.

Seems we have cousins! Of my 16, the 2 cockerels and 8 more sleep in the original coop, 4 roost on the top of the run roof, under the space covered by a permanent roof, and 2 at the bottom of the pecking order sleep in the secondary, use-to-be temp brooding, separation coop. All the egg are usually laid in the temp coop, after I integrated 2 groups, where I had repurposed a cat litter box filled with shavings. 5 more nest boxes mostly sit unused in the main coop.
They’ve tried to explain it to me but I guess I just don’t get it!

Yup, most nights there's now one Eglu with 8 chickens in it, and 3 empty coops! 6 bantams + 2 Shetlands so not quite as bad as it sounds - and they squash up to leave half the coop empty!

They are probably cramped in there. Each chicken should have a minimum of 4sq ft of coop space, in yours you can really only fit 4 in there.
Yup, they're like sardines! It's how they want to be! I would only put 4 in which is why I bought 2 Eglus. But they have resisted all attempts to make them behave legally :) And they don't allow the two newcomers (omegas) to join the crush until the others are settled.
To clarify, there is an empty coop either side, plus another Eglu within reach in the run extension; decent accommodation for about 16 bantams. If I put a bird in their pre-Eglu coop, she gets grumpy and rushes back to join the flock. Just occasionally after a tiff will one decamp to the old favourite.

I have tried to improve the ventilation but can't find how to. In the old wooden coops I kept a stick under the lid and moved it towards the hinge to let more air through, but the Eglu seems to lack any control over ventilation. Am I missing something? It bothers me because they're in there for a lot of hours now and in summer it will be too stuffy.

Back
Top Bottom