Ever Been Locked In?

Well, well. I just got locked in yesterday for the second time. First time it was totally my own stupid fault, hence the reason I didn't want to discuss it!
idunno.gif
But this time it was KEN'S fault! He locked me in the coop. Now, what makes that especially bad is that it was 4 degrees outside. Yep, 4, and I'm locked in an unheated coop. Got a little taste of how the chickens are feeling this time of year. I was in checking on how Scout was faring during this cold snap and gathering eggs before they became frozen missiles. He came along on his way to the garage, saw that the hasp was in the open position, and closed it. I knocked on the door, he didn't hear me. I banged on the door - still didn't hear me. But then I yelled and called him some not so nice names. That, he heard.

What made it double bad is that he didn't just close the hasp - he put the lock on it. No way I could have gotten out even if I was smart enough to have put a latch lifter on the inside. He said he thought I was in the office when he saw the lock off. Yeah, a likely story. I think he's just sick of eating Christmas leftovers and wanted to teach me a lesson!

Well, well. I just got locked in yesterday for the second time. First time it was totally my own stupid fault, hence the reason I didn't want to discuss it!
idunno.gif
But this time it was KEN'S fault! He locked me in the coop. Now, what makes that especially bad is that it was 4 degrees outside. Yep, 4, and I'm locked in an unheated coop. Got a little taste of how the chickens are feeling this time of year. I was in checking on how Scout was faring during this cold snap and gathering eggs before they became frozen missiles. He came along on his way to the garage, saw that the hasp was in the open position, and closed it. I knocked on the door, he didn't hear me. I banged on the door - still didn't hear me. But then I yelled and called him some not so nice names. That, he heard.

What made it double bad is that he didn't just close the hasp - he put the lock on it. No way I could have gotten out even if I was smart enough to have put a latch lifter on the inside. He said he thought I was in the office when he saw the lock off. Yeah, a likely story. I think he's just sick of eating Christmas leftovers and wanted to teach me a lesson!

And another one bites the dust. Ok Blooie, your name has been to the list of the fallen.

P.S. Maybe for your own safety it's time to ditch the leftovers!

Time to share a story or two about getting locked in the coop and/or run...I'm not the only one this has happened to, right?
"It is my experience you only get locked into your coop or loft "ONCE."

That being said I had a steel wing latch at the top of my coop that managed to fall down (gravity with 65 trips around the sun never seems to be my friend)

Unlike buddy Sourland I had no room (200 lbs + in a 4x8 coop) to apply a Kung Fu Kick. Luck being on my side I had a long knife inside with me that I use to cut the string on feed bags and was able to run it along top of the door to free myself. I never fixed the problem and waited patiently for my grand daughter to fall into "THE TRAP LOL".

Kamecha (calls me Hokum my other grand younger grand daughter calls me Coco) Kamecha did not use common sense to get out of her predicament until I went out and told her first not to panic and see what she had at her disposal to get free

She like Sourland gave it a Kung Fu Kick and manage to tear out the header over my door (she has her orange belt in Judo) I never knew I had a 2½ inch wood screw holding the steel wing latch similar to the one in the picture until it was TOO LATE..

Here is a link of an interview that was done on us hope it works:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1478351/carrier-pigeons-continue-to-connect-family/.

Last edited:
"It is my experience you only get locked into your coop or loft "ONCE."

That being said I had a steel wing latch at the top of my coop that managed to fall down (gravity with 65 trips around the sun never seems to be my friend)

Unlike buddy Sourland I had no room (200 lbs + in a 4x8 coop) to apply a Kung Fu Kick. Luck being on my side I had a long knife inside with me that I use to cut the string on feed bags and was able to run it along top of the door to free myself. I never fixed the problem and waited patiently for my grand daughter to fall into the trap.
Kamecha (calls me Hokum my other grand younger grand daughter calls me Coco) Kamecha did not use common sense to get out of her predicament until I went out and told her first not to panic and see what she had at her disposal to get free She like Sourland gave it a Kung Fu Kick and manage to tear out the header over my door (she has her orange belt in Judo) I never knew I had a 2½ inch wood screw holding the steel wing latch similar to the one in the picture until it was TOO LATE..

Here is a link of an interview that was done on us hope it works:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1478351/carrier-pigeons-continue-to-connect-family/.
Hokum Coco

Your link worked fine, what a great story about your and your grand-daughter!

Are people having so many problems with 2-legged predators that coop locks are really needed? My coop has a standard outdoor door that I purchased cheap from ReStore (like $20) - 4 legged predators don't seem to be able to handle a standard twist doorknob - and there's no chance of getting locked in.

I worry more about two legged predators than four! Every year when we get chickens, someone steals them. Seriously, the entire flock a couple years in a row. And it definitely was a human. My mother just gave up. They would come and steal a few every couple nights or so. No pattern or whatever. The door would be closed but locked feebly like they were in a hurry, and a few less birds inside. Sometimes they would all be gone in one night. One time, someone stole a dozen ducks, a few Cornish cross, and half a dozen layers in one night! How? Why? I was afraid to try having my own birds here. I have only had two pullets stolen so far, both my Ameraucanas. This time it was in the day and my mother saw their car. She just was not fast enough to get the license plate.
One day we were driving and came across a lady trying to steal someone's free range flock off the side of the road. We stopped, they hopped in their car empty handed. It is crazy around here. And it is not like this is a city, we are very rural, all farms around here.

I worry more about two legged predators than four! Every year when we get chickens, someone steals them. Seriously, the entire flock a couple years in a row. And it definitely was a human. My mother just gave up. They would come and steal a few every couple nights or so. No pattern or whatever. The door would be closed but locked feebly like they were in a hurry, and a few less birds inside. Sometimes they would all be gone in one night. One time, someone stole a dozen ducks, a few Cornish cross, and half a dozen layers in one night! How? Why? I was afraid to try having my own birds here. I have only had two pullets stolen so far, both my Ameraucanas. This time it was in the day and my mother saw their car. She just was not fast enough to get the license plate.
One day we were driving and came across a lady trying to steal someone's free range flock off the side of the road. We stopped, they hopped in their car empty handed. It is crazy around here. And it is not like this is a city, we are very rural, all farms around here.
I can't imagine. No way would that happen around here more than once. You'd be taking your life in your own hands...many people with many guns around here.

We have waited with weapons, all night. They never come when you want them to. By the time you hear who ever it is, they are pulling out and everyone is gone. We have had people poison our dogs and cats. I do not even know if it is the same person. That kind of stuff happens all the time. People's pets go missing because high school boys want to play "Critter Bashing".

Back
Top Bottom