Ever bought hatching eggs off eBay?

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
I bought a dozen Bantam Salmon Faverolle eggs off eBay today and they are in the mail now. Has anyone out there bought eggs on eBay before? If so, what was your hatch rate? Thanks!

Several members here sell eggs on Ebay. I've bought some and had good results.
My most recent hatch was an Ebay purchase but the sellers were only 2 towns
away so I just picked the eggs up. 100% hatch rate.

Next month I will be purchasing some eggs from okcarla. She sells eggs here
and has a 100% ebay feedback rating.

Just don't overpay. I've seen some crazy prices paid for ebay eggs. More than
$2 per egg shipped is too much for unknown eggs sent via the post office.

I bought my guinea eggs last year on Ebay - 5 of 8 hatched just fine.

And this year bought 12+ silkie eggs off Eggbid.com. Nine look viable.

Honestly I have no complaints as my hatch rate is okay, but I believe waiting another month to buy eggs shipped via mail is smart. I think its still just too cold, unless you're someplace much nicer than the Northeast.

Julie

I bought from sandspoultry before she came to BYC and I got 12+ 3 extra incase PO where to damage. So technically I got 11 out of 12 to hatch but all 15 where fertile. Before her I bought from someone a couple years with no luck 0%. It depends on fertility, shipping, the temps outside, and you and your bator
smile.png

Lots of luck and let us know what you get

I just had my first eBay purchased hatch from two different sellers/locations. I had 3/5 welsummers hatch and 4/15 cuckoo marans hatch. Next batch of eBay eggs due on Thursday.

Quote:
Remember too, there are a lot of variables that are completely out of the hands of the seller:
*Handling by PO during shipping
*Weather conditions
*Handling by the purchaser
*Endless variables in incubation and hatching conditions...

You just have to know going in that it's a gamble I think, be prepared for possible disappointment and try to just enjoy the experimentation process of it all. If you're going to be upset and feel you've wasted your money if you end up with nothing, it might be best to just buy guaranteed live chicks.

Bought 24, 18 arrived intact.

Set 18, 15 were fertile, 10 hatched, 3 were dead-in-shell and 2 had died early.

The eggs were not quite as regular in size and shape as I might have like, having said that the smallest egg hatched - go figure.

This is about the best time of year to mail eggs as they are unlikely to get too warm in transit.

The biggest unknown is the quality of handling by the USPS. It varies from excellent to appalling.

I would buy again.

Back
Top Bottom