Ever "catch" an egg?

ImStillMags

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
Pacific Northwest
One of the most fun and favorite things I used to do when I was gathering eggs was to find a hen in the nest box just about to lay. I would just stand off quietly and wait for the telltale signs.

When a hen is just about to 'drop' an egg she stands up in a half crouch and get's this glazed far away look in her eyes, then the egg drops into the nest. After the egg drops, she will stand in that position with the blank look on her face for about another 10-20 seconds. Then she sort of shakes her head, comes back to herself, ruffles her feathers and shakes, and hops off the nest and announces to the world, with very loud clucks and calls, that she has laid the most magnificent egg ever.

I would wait until the hen stood up in the half crouch and got the glazed look, then I would gently and carefully put my hand under her and catch the egg as it fell out.

Nothing quiet like the feel of that hot, still a bit slick egg in your hand and the fun of watching that hen announce her triumph to the world.

If you've never had the opportunity to watch that process, please take the time to do so, it's a trip.

The bigger the egg the louder the announcement, too!!

Last edited:
I've done it a couple of times, by accident, feeling for eggs under a hen. I agree it's quite a performance; I was shocked that they get partway up and drop them. Don't know why it was so shocking. Taught me to keep the nest boxes well padded, though.

Quote:
Yup, lots of shavings or straw to keep from cracking one of those jewels
D.gif

I also noticed that different hens had different 'songs' about the grand event that just happened. Some were pretty funny.

Yup. I've caught a few over the years. It is an incredible thing.

My girls scratch all the nesting material off the box bottom and then lay, so far so good, no broken eggs!

Mine will stand for a long time after the egg is laid, like they are exhausted. If there is a line, I will take them off the nest box and allow someone else to get started. Mine seem to think there is only one nest box...stupid chickens!

DH was amazed at how warm the egg is.
tongue2.gif

Boo-Boo's Mama :

My girls scratch all the nesting material off the box bottom and then lay, so far so good, no broken eggs!

tongue2.gif

I have read on here of using that rubbery shelf lining stuff in the bottom of the nest box, 2 or 3 layers of it. Inexpensive and washes easily. Just put the straw over it.​

Back
Top Bottom