Ever "catch" an egg?

A very long time ago, when I was 5 years old, I went out to collect eggs from my Grandma's chickens and there weren't any, so I waited for a hen on the nest to get up, stuck my hand under to see if there was an egg yet, and it plopped right into my hand!
I think that was one of the moments that started my love of chickens. I've caught many eggs over the years and it never ceases to amaze me!

I haven't caught one but I caused a poor hen to drop one.
idunno.gif
We had a couple of broodies that we were trying to break of the habit (since we don't have a rooster and don't have any place for new chicks) that I would remove from the nest whenever I gathered eggs. Well I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been and removed a hen that was not a broody. She stood on the ground where I put her with a funny look on her face and dropped an egg. Poor girl! She looked around confused probably wondering what happened to the nesting box.
hide.gif
Oh yes, the egg was fine.
ya.gif

Last edited:
ImStillMags " When a hen is just about to 'drop' an egg she stands up in a half crouch and get's this glazed far away look in her eyes, then the egg drops into the nest. After the egg drops, she will stand in that position with the blank look on her face for about another 10-20 seconds. "

I know this feeling... the final push, and holding of the breath..... cant believe these gals do it nearly every day! I only did it twice, it was enough for me to call it quits!

I've not caught one yet but I watch them lay occasionally.

One of my girls began roosting on my kids' baby pool, and suddenly out plopped an egg into the dry pool!! Of course it cracked and splattered. She didn't so much as twitch.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom