1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ever find your rooster in your nest box?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by safarichick101, Jan 2, 2010.

1. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Okay, so I was letting my chickens out of their coop but I found Canello, my orpington/silkie cross rooster in my hen's nestbox, [​IMG] just standing there, and doing his usual, peaking at me from the side because is comb always interferes with his vision. I found it really funny to see my roo in my nestbox. It had to be intentional as my box is a flight from the ground.. anyone ever find roosters shamefully in your nestboxes?

[​IMG]

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    My Buff Orpington roo does this regularly and especially when I put new shavings in them.
    He goes in, does his sweet little clucking sounds like he does when he finds the good bugs, and settles in a bit. It's
    almost as if he's testing the nests for the hens! He'll make an indent in the shavings and move on to the next box.
    The Black Copper roo doesn't do any of that though..so I guess not all roos do it by nature.

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    My cockerel stays and even sleeps in the boxes I expect an egg from him anyday now.

4. Hattie the Hen

Hattie the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

My Dorking cockerels are always doing it -- especially after it has been cleaned or more shaving are added.

I have even had cockerels sitting the eggs when the broody hen comes off them for her break every morning. They get off when the hen returns. [​IMG] I find it a sign of a good caring husband for my girls.

Hattie

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  5. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    yesterday my banty was in a nest scratching a palce for his hen to lay her egg [​IMG]

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sure they like to rest in them sometimes during the summer.

AL

7. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    My roos that have done that are usually good to their girls and take it upon themselves to make a nest for them and invite them to lay their eggs there. I find that as a nice quality in a roo.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

My itty bitty Spangled Banty will kick out a hen to sleep there at night. He hates the perches.

9. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    On a daily basis...lol I have a GLW roo that has one box the he keeps going to. He doesn't go into any other box. I take him out, and he turns around and goes right back in it. Go figure. There are roost's in that coop.

10. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Something tells me your roo needs to go to counseling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by