Ever give your meaties a bath???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mtnhomechick, Sep 18, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Well, I try to be as clean as I can with the poo but I can't keep up. Tomorrow is culling day so today DH and I bathed........not once but twice ) and rinsed 15 meaties. Am I nuts?

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    My daughters and I have for the county fair.

I did it when I was in 4-H too.

Did you blow dry them with the hairdryer too?

That always got looks at the fair!

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It seems unnecessary if you're not showing them. Why not wait until they're dead & just hose off the extra poo then before scalding & plucking? That way they also won't put up as much of a fuss. [​IMG]

Poor meaties, they already have such a rotten deal in life, why spoil their last day on earth by giving them a bath?

Hope your butchering chores go smoothly and you all enjoy dining on your extra-clean chickens!

4. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    If I didn't have 97 to do, it would sound like a good idea to ME, too! Perhaps after bleeding them out so they fight less...

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Actually, I felt they enjoyed it. Oh yes......they kicked and squaked on the way in but once in the water they were real quiet. I got the impression they liked it. First I thought, maybe they are in shock but when we put them back for the night they were real active and lively. BTW....this is their second bath in their short lifetime.

Guess I can't imagine washing poo off the dead chicken I am going to put in the oven. Call me nuts.....I will agree.

6. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I have...I actually did it once to cool one of ours off. We were having a 90 degree day and he looked liked he just couldn't take it anymore. So I put him in some cool water. He loved it. He was cool for the rest of the day. I completely understand. When I raise our meaties I'm constantly changing their bedding, sometimes 5x's a day.

7. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:The Poo wouldn't just wash off........it gets stuck to their underside. Can't fathom washing poo off the skin I'm gonna eat.

They were all clean skinned for the dispatch today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by