Ever give your meaties a bath???

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
Well, I try to be as clean as I can with the poo but I can't keep up. Tomorrow is culling day so today DH and I bathed........not once but twice ) and rinsed 15 meaties. Am I nuts?

My daughters and I have for the county fair.

I did it when I was in 4-H too.

Did you blow dry them with the hairdryer too?

That always got looks at the fair!

It seems unnecessary if you're not showing them. Why not wait until they're dead & just hose off the extra poo then before scalding & plucking? That way they also won't put up as much of a fuss.
wink.png

Poor meaties, they already have such a rotten deal in life, why spoil their last day on earth by giving them a bath?

Hope your butchering chores go smoothly and you all enjoy dining on your extra-clean chickens!

If I didn't have 97 to do, it would sound like a good idea to ME, too! Perhaps after bleeding them out so they fight less...

Actually, I felt they enjoyed it. Oh yes......they kicked and squaked on the way in but once in the water they were real quiet. I got the impression they liked it. First I thought, maybe they are in shock but when we put them back for the night they were real active and lively. BTW....this is their second bath in their short lifetime.

Guess I can't imagine washing poo off the dead chicken I am going to put in the oven. Call me nuts.....I will agree.

I have...I actually did it once to cool one of ours off. We were having a 90 degree day and he looked liked he just couldn't take it anymore. So I put him in some cool water. He loved it. He was cool for the rest of the day. I completely understand. When I raise our meaties I'm constantly changing their bedding, sometimes 5x's a day.

Quote:
The Poo wouldn't just wash off........it gets stuck to their underside. Can't fathom washing poo off the skin I'm gonna eat.

They were all clean skinned for the dispatch today.

Back
Top Bottom