Ever had a winter broody?

This is a coop we built out of FREE pallets.....I don't have finished pics on my computer here, but it turned out very nice....just filled in with two small pallets in the front (removable doors) for easy access cleaning when needed :)

My Silkie went broody a month ago and had 2 chicks. They weren't her eggs. A Dominique hen and Silkie rooster were the parents. Sadly her 1 egg didn't hatch although it was fully developed. Have no idea why. I did leave a heat lamp on in the coop after they hatched. They are so cute and I was so amazed, it's my first time. It is a worry with the below 10 temps we have been having, but they seem fine. I just feel bad they can't be outside walking around with their Mom. I hardly get to see them, as I hate opening

the door and letting all the cold air in.

One of our red hens, a RIR or production red went broody three weeks ago. Tuesday she had six little ones hatch - all that we put under her.
celebrate.gif

First two spotted with mamma hen. Today. Mamma back in the summer.

great wing shot, I think it might be a girl
fl.gif

Although not quite winter, my silkie Harriette went broody this October and hatched 2 chicks. It was already very cold, and we had just moved from Southern California to Northern Nevada. I've been very worried, but they've made a fool of me. The babies love to play in the snow, and are always last to go in at night! It was just 20° when I took this photo, and the day had started at 16° when I opened the coop door.

One of our red hens, a RIR or production red went broody three weeks ago. Tuesday she had six little ones hatch - all that we put under her.
celebrate.gif

First two spotted with mamma hen. Today. Mamma back in the summer.

great wing shot, I think it might be a girl
fl.gif
Are they just out in the coop? If so how do they do?

Thank you I have her and another white silkie hen and a buff silkie rooster in a pen I made out of a swingset frame and I have another big pen that is 20foot by 20foot and 7 foot high so the swingset pen will be easy to cover Picture from a few days ago picture from summer
Thats a great idea for a coop! Have you posted it on the Coop page yet?

Back
Top Bottom