Ever happen to you...?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by max13077, Sep 18, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I processed most(all but 6) of my meat birds this past weekend. Somehow, most of the people I know, know we slaughtered the birds. Now I have people coming to the house and calling to ask if I have any "leftovers" I'd like to sell... Why the hell didn’t I raise a hundred!!?? I could have made some dough!!!

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Then if you bought a hundred, no one would be interested in buying any.
    Its the way it always happens..
    See if you can line up some customers in advance, take orders whatever, and get yourself a little business.

3. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    just be careful.Every year I get people wanting chicken,But then when it comes right down to it something comes up.No room in freezer,bad time,something.Some don't want to pay anymore than store bought.That's why I usually just raise for us and a few friends.
    If you really think you have a reliable bunch of interested people "go for it" It's a good way to recoop costs. Will

4. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Will, I'm sure something along those lines would have happened. "Yeah I'll take 10!" Time comes, "Oh, gosh I should have told you, we just don't have room."

5. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    Get a deposit. If they pay some in advance they are more likely to get them at harvest time.

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:i second that.

i am doing a batch of 100 now plus 80 fryers. (yes, it is insanity) we have tons of people asking. if they are serious they can pay a deposit. i am doing the 80 fryers for my extended family as a gift. (In-laws, parents, g'ma and a widow at church) so, i don't have to worry they wont take them!

i am also trading them. traded 3 for a garden gate i need, and 200 lbs. carcass weight chicken for 200 lbs. carcass weight whole hog!

go for the big stuff and try it next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by