Ever Heard of Oven Canning ???

kalerville

Hatching
8 Years
May 13, 2011
I heard that you can oven can items like rice, dry beans, flour, etc......

Have you ever heard of this? If so does it work? How do you do it?

Quote:
this is what I found on this site: http://nchfp.uga.edu/questions/FAQ_canning.html#7

Is
it safe to process food in the oven?
No. This can be dangerous because the temperature will vary according to the accuracy of oven regulators and circulation of heat. Dry heat is very slow in penetrating into jars of food. Also, jars explode easily in the oven.

I have a friend who oven cans beef, they use it a lot for quick dinners after work and swear by it. They are all still alive over there but I'm just not brave enough to try it yet and probably never will be. If I need something cooked for me at the end of the day I have a Crockpot and I know what I make in it isn't going to kill me.

Don't ever can things like rice, it's not safe at all. Beans must be pressure canned. If you're just trying to keep bugs out and dry canning that's a whole different story. Otherwise, use the NCHFP website for the directions on canning, they have the best recommendations for safe canning. I go their for all my processing times. They also have pretty good recipes. I might tweak spices but never add things like fresh veggies to my tomato sauce or salsa, it changes pH. There are plenty of soup recipes and other good recipes on that website without needing to use unsafe recipes.
I have some good books with interesting, safe recipes, as well but still use the NCHFP for most stuff.

Quote:
I assumed that they meant for long term storage not actual canning cooked food like that, thanks for clarifying
big_smile.png

I read an article in Countryside magazine where a lady canned cakes. She baked them in canner/freezer jars then sealed them after taking them out of the oven. Said they kept over a year.

Quote:
Very smart. It only takes that one little botulism episode to kill off your family. Even a bit of e.coli or salmonella would would be enough to ruin your month, maybe put you into kidney failure and dialysis or possibly kill someone. No sense chancing it with those you love.
Canning things like cakes (flour and eggs are no-nos, along with oven canning), you're sealing low-acid ingredients into a no-oxygen environment perfect for botulism to grow. Just a speck of manure from those wonderfully fresh home-grown eggs with a little botulism from the dirt and bingo, we have a wonderful place for a science experiment!
I took care of an infant with botulism from honey when I was a medical student doing a rotation down at the military hospital in San Antonio . Poor baby was on a ventilator and paralysed.. When I graduated and was doing a residency my residency director would recommend honey as a laxative ( old recommendation from the old-timers) and just wouldn't follow new recommendations. He just wouldn't listen, despite warnings and my first-hand experience with a case of botulism from not so far away.
he.gif
infants are very, very susceptible to botulism, much more so than children or adults.
Every year, somebody dies from improperly canned green beans or some other food. It's no wonder people think canning is dangerous, with as much publicity as that case or two will get, although whoever did the improper canning will almost always have done something so entirely outside any sort of guidelines as to be completely idiotic.
Personally, find it much scarier to eat salad from a salad bar or those pre-washed bags of salad than any canned food that I prepare. But, I always follow recommended guidelines so tha I know my canned food is perfectly safe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom