ever seen heard of or have a roo go broody before, or seem like it did

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bock_Bock, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i was just wonderign this is there possibly a only breed where roos take care of eggs i was just wondering

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Roos will pick a location out that they consider a `prime' nesting site and coo and fret and pull in straw or wood chips like a hen, but only if they have a hen's attention, `hey, this is a good place for some eggs!' Broody? someone else might have seen something like that.

[​IMG]

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok thanks i was just curious

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I don't THINK so...
    It's usually the hens.

5. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    hopefully Msbear will chime in. She just recently told me about how roos can be the Rooster or they can be the daddy and that roosters are only fertile 8 mos out of the year. When they turn into daddy their sperm dries up. Again, I hope she chimes in to make it more clear lol....thats just what i remember.

6. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree w/Ivan3, my Brewster (BO) was in w/the EE flock last night and had a BLRW hen's attention so he kept going into a nesting box and talking about it, while acting like he was sitting on eggs;) He's a sweety and she was sweet on him...

7. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    sounds so cute now if only my hen would start laying but i think her time is up its been a couple months so im thinking its shake and bake chicken time

8. norm65

norm65 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2008
    Petersburg, ind.
    Several years ago I had a white old english rooster go broody. He actually sat on the eggs and hatched them and raised them like a hen would. I also had a black ringneck pheasant do the same thing. Norman

9. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    I have 1 hen and 1 roo, about a year old. I also have 19 3 week old chicks I ordered from Ideal. My hen will peck at them and chase them away, but our roo will let them follow him around all day. He comes running when I bring them out. However he has been known to attack our dog and our 2 cats.... Go figure...

10. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    My bantam roo, Colonel Sanders (RIP) was caught sitting on an egg. I've seen him making a good nest area, but the next morning, he was sitting all funny, and there was an egg under him. I wanted to see if he would hatch it, but it was late fall, and I thought that I'd wait until this spring.

I guess i can't do that now...it would have been interesting to see how long he sat on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by