ever tried everything to keep a squirrel out of the bird feeder?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wendy, Jul 30, 2008.

1. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    My husband put fishing line between two trees and I have two feeders on it. Welll after awhile the squirrel tried it out anyways and "jumped" to the feeder just about. You should have seen it! The squirrel looked like a trapeze artist hanging there. Ran to get my camera and this is what I captured, he already on the feeder, little mess :)
    I love feeding my birds, I have bird book and have attracted some different kind of birds to our yard that are so beautiful.

Wendy

[​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I gave up..... started feeding them on the ground..... seems to help [​IMG]

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm thinking of getting my parents one of these for Christmas. Bird feeding + squirrel spinning = twice the entertainment! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  4. SuperChicken007

SuperChicken007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Trapped in my computer
    Quote:I use a weight-sensitive feeder. It seems the squirrels are still happy- the birds drop plenty of seeds accidentally! we also have a walnut tree, and that helps.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  5. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    we have 13 acres and back up to the national forest, so there are acorns, walnut, hickory and i can't think of what else a plenty and even though you see them bury all this stuff for the winter you never see them go back to much of it, they come to our bird feeders! lol!

wendy

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I had a squirrel in the yard that would lift the lid to the chickens feed and help itself to breakfast... and lunch... and dinner. So we put a bungee cord on the feed bin and showed the cat how tasty the food bin was smelling [​IMG]
    Didn't take long for the squirrel to start finding its own food. Sure screams at the cat when she tracks it now, too!

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I got a cage feeder and put a baffle on the top...I had the little buggers falling out of the trees left and right...[​IMG]

They ate through a $30 Droll Yankee and a Call to me birdfeeder that was $20. I've added Squirrel away too...

I finally decided to feed them too...I bought some dried cobs and put them in a cake feeder and it's funny to see them hanging upside down.

8. newchickiefarmer

newchickiefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    Montana
    One thing that works is hanging a slinky (yes a slinky) on the bottom of the feeder, so when the squirrel tries to hang on, down he goes! Quite entertaining also....

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I bought a pole to hang my feeders on, and a raccoon guard that is like a narrow barrel that hangs on the pole - the pole goes through the center of it. Nothing gets past it. It's funny to watch, the squirrels climb up the pole right into the guard and have no idea how to get around it. It was expensive but worth it, the seed isn't cheap these days!

Here's the baffle and here is what they're selling for poles now, although mine is beefier than these are (older style, I guess). The one here in my backyard has a 4' extension to keep cats from being able to jump up and kill the birds. The one at our home in Maine is shorter - one thing it doesn't stand up to, though, are black bears, if they want the feeder, they're gonna get the feeder!

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:That would be hysterical to watch!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by