Ever wonder why???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KarenP, Sep 11, 2011.

1. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    Have you ever wondered why you got into raising chickens?? Every day that goes by, i wonder more and more!! I worry myself sick over these guys. I worry about diseases...I made a mistake by getting 3 BR's from a local farmer and they were sick and died. I got 4 babies for an internet sight and 1 died and i think another is sick. One of my BO's has something wrong with her eye.

If i'm not worrying about disease then i'm worrying about preditors!! I leave them in their run unless i am outside with them. When i let them free range the hawks are flying above and i become scared to death.

Lastly, i worry about whether it's becoming to cold for them outside. I just put my 7 week old babies outside last night and they did fine. I on the other hand didn't sleep at all because i was worried about them getting to cold.

I read as much as possible on how to care for them and do everything i can to keep them happy and healthy!! As much as i love them,they are just like having children!!! I worry myself sick!!![​IMG]

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    If they are bringing you too much stress, then maybe they (chickens) are not for you. They aren't for everybody.

Do you enjoy them more than not?

3. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    [​IMG] sorry for your losses.... don't give up! Sounds like you care alot about them. Just bad luck. If your ordering from a hatchery maybe you can order a larger quantity by ordering with a friend to minimize losses!

4. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Quote:diseas problems my friend are why i prefer ducks. a good duck wil give more eggs in a year than a chicken, give down and more meat but the biggest thing is disease. I do not believe i have ever, in my many duck years, had a diseased one. every 3rd chicken is sick

5. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Hopefully your flock will settle down and be healthy and busy, and the worries will fade. I remember when we first realized 2 of our 6 birds were roosters I had nightmares about them all being roosters. And the first time a coyote went after them in the tractor I was a wreck! 2nd time I went out and yelled at it matter of factly, and there hasn't been a 3rd time. (The tractor is seriously re-enforced, and I keep a watchful eye) Chickens are a lot different than cats or dogs. I had no idea. But once they are well established and laying their wonderful eggs it's just fabulous [​IMG] Hope you and your flock get into a good groove soon. [​IMG]

6. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    I know it's hard. I had a rough start with the chicks I purchased in May. We had a couple bouts of coccidia and one death. I even told the women I bought them from that maybe chickens weren't gonna be for me since it is hard to find any assistance for them when they are sick and I don't have the heart to snap there necks to put them out of there misery.
    It is now 4 month later and everything has leveled out but now I worry about them starting up with laying and hoping that all goes well?
    I can definitely relate to how you are feeling.
    We'll see how the winter goes![​IMG]

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    didn't sleep at all because i was worried about them

I had nightmares about them all being roosters.

Raising chickens is not for worriers. It takes inventiveness, common sense and a good bit of problem solving, but worry is not a contributing factor. Worry is a feminine trait that is normal, but excessive worry to the point of losing sleep and having nightmares indicates that perhaps you should consider a hobby that would be less stressful to you.​

8. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    To worry about your animals is normal, wether it is a dog,horse or chicken. To worry to the point of not sleeping isnt healthy. That being said, i did worry with my first flock, then i realized I had given them food,water, a clean coop and a good sturdy run. If something got to them, there is nothing more i could have done. Just provide them with the best you can, the rest is out of your hands. Hang in there... [​IMG]

9. Mrs.Carron

Mrs.Carron Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Karen,

Just like our children, we provide their needs and do our best. I lost sleep over my chicks when I first got them because I seemed to have trouble after trouble. However, with that said, I am a christian and I trust that the One who created these beautiful creatures will take care of them. If He made them then He certainly cares for them:) This is what I go by...We are commanded to pray but forbidden to worry. You'll do fine, just continue to do what is right and the rest will all come out in the wash! Remember, you can only do so much so do not worry:) My chicks are just fine now that I let the worrying go. Now I can enjoy them for what they are...lots of fun.

The babies will be fine, I would be more concerned about the heat more than the cold. If you have a heat lamp see if you could mount it onto your coop for added heat. We have hawks that fly around our subdivision, however, in my yard there are plenty of hidding places for protection, so I don't worry as much. Try to keep their food in an area of protection, that way they are not preoccupied in the open where it would be dangerous.

You and the chickens will be just fine:D Have a great day!

Kelly

10. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I can tell you why we got into raising chickens. We watched Food Inc. and that was that. We didn't eat chicken for 8 months after watching that, I still can't buy frozen chicken at the grocery store. The movie made us want to become more self sufficient that we already were.

I am sorry for your losses, but any farmer knows that raising animals is a gamble. We have bad times and we have good times. Raising chickens is not like have a few pet dogs. They are livestock and livestock sometimes get sick and die, that's just life. You go through the motions, but try not to worry about it too much.

I agree with the others you can't worry all the time about things like them all being roosters- if they are oh well, we will be just that far ahead on our grocery list. [​IMG] Replacement hens are very easy to find and don't cost that much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by