Every day's a learning day in the chicken coop

Emily26

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Now I'm a new chicken mum and I've had my little backyard flock for just over a month now, before this I was spending a lot of time learning about chickens, googling anything I thought I could possibly wish to know about them.... so here I was thinking I knew pretty much all the basic standard chicken "stuff". Imagine my surprise when I go to give my girls a before bedtime cuddle to find one of my lovely pullets has a massive lump on one side of her chest. Considering I'd lost a chick last week and the pullet of which we speak may actually be a roo... I panicked "how could I have such a bad start to chicken keeping" "Is it a deformity?!?" "will it kill her"......

Quickly I rushed to google....It was her crop, happily filled up on the dandelion leaves she enjoyed in the afternoon! So now I know all about a chickens digestive system 🤣

It seems there are huge learning curves at various times in chickening. The chicks arriving. The first night. The first week. The first month. Teenagerhood (hormones) in the cockerels. And... the first egg! Good luck and enjoy! BYC is here to help with questions.

Back
Top Bottom