every egg is soft-shelled

fun monitor

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
southern california
I have an OEG hen who I think is pretty old, but we adopted her so we don't know. She's been laying nothing but soft-shelled eggs lately, I guess for about the past 10 days? Before that her eggshells were getting noticeably thinner. She eats well - laying mash, some scratch, kitchen scraps, yogurt, free choice oyster shells. Is this just what happens when they get old and stop laying, or might there be another reason? The other three laying hens are fine, laying regularly and have nice strong shells.

I see you are in Southern California.
it could be a combination of age, and heat.
both situations causes a need for more calcium.
I assume she gets enough sun?..or is she in a very shady spot?
(sun synthesizes Vitamin D in the bird's system)

mix the plain yogurt with some layer feed, and water cooked oatmeal..just enough to give the mixture substance.
crush a Tums, and add to feed the first time, and once a week for 2 weeks.
cut back on scratch or corn.
give her a couple drops of cod liver oil in the first feed.
(cod liver oil gives Vitamin A and D) D is needed for absorption of calcium.
do not give more since too much Vitamin A is toxic.

give her some of this feed for the morning, then regular feed the rest of the day.

try and get some AviaCharge2000 from McMurray Hatchery, or Strombergs..

Last edited:
the state of a chicken's health can affect how well they absorb calcium from the diet, as well as how much calcium they need, so it is possible that either she has some low-level 'something' going on or at her age she just isn't dealing with warmer temperatures as well.

Another way to give extra calcium to an individual bird (i.e. not relying on free-choice) is to take her aside - you might want to close her into the coop, or pop a dog cage over her, or something like that - and give her a little dish of yogurt or of low-sodium cottage cheese, every day or two for a week. And see if her eggs improve.

Good luck,

Pat

Thanks for the great advice. She laid a shelled egg yesterday! A thin shell, but still a shell. I followed most of the advice given and also started to treat her for leg mites again. I cut out all their scratch feed since it's been so hot. I think the stress was due to bringing in the new flock and everyone getting assimilated. I still think she's old though, and probably on her way to not laying. That's okay, she was our first and she can stay here forever
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom