Every last bird dead in the coop....

So sorry for your loss.

If throats were the only location of fatal injury/consumption, then I'd guess weasel or mink, they can climb very nimbly and squeeze through the eyes of needles (so to speak), raccoon's are rarely so `fastidious'. Set both a standard live trap and - check Youtube for instructions on how-to contruct a `weasel box' (big Victor Rat Trap is main ingredient).

Again, sorry - hang in there - retire the vermin and nurse your gumption.

a weasel only needs less then 1 " X 1" to squeeze into a mink slightly more when using a weasel box bloody liver ( M'rat, pork , chicken does'nt seem to matter )and a little Anise oil works well for bait

I would think that you are dealing with a coon if the crop was eaten out.
However unless you have a warm spell the coons are normally hibernating this time of year.
Weasels will kill everything they can get their little fangs on.
I have dealt with Fishers,Minks, Weasels, and it sounds like it was most likely a Mink or Weasel.

If you get fresh snow look for the tracks.
They will be back once an easy meal is located.

I say weasel. The damage you describe is identical to the work of weasels (minks). I had one work his way in through a mouse tunnel. They eat the mice and then follow through to the opening in the chicken area. If it can't get back out it will sometime build a nest in your chicken house and stay there. You might want to empty the house of all boxes and bedding and you may find it.

Definately Raccoon! Two years in a row the took out over 30 chickens. I had fence inside the barn and out and electrical fence around that and they still figured out a way around. The first year they even took out full grown turkeys when they could get the chickens. I finally found the place they were getting in and boarded it up. It was under the eves of the roof. Then I got Duke DP traps and I started taking them out. I have killed 14 coons so far. They will travel up to 3 miles from there den. I even had the Game Warden out to make sure it was okay to kill them out of season. One time I walk in the coop and found 2 eaten and 6 piled in the corner that were just dead from the Coons pouncing on them. The traps are cheap and well worth it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. That is a heartbreaking sight.
hugs.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. We've lost hens to raccoons when we thought the coop was secure, but those nasty guys found a way to get in. I found three 'coons inside our coop in the middle of a killing spree at 6 AM one morning. Hardware cloth all around the coop from now on. We are in the Washington DC area and in a pretty suburban/ urban area. I'd be surprised if we had weasels or mink around here - I wonder how can I find out?

Zengrrl, so sorry for your tragedy. Regardless of the type of predator, trapping or killing them will not protect your birds - only a predator-proof coop will do that, as a weasel taught me. One way of identifying cracks in your defense is after dark, have one person inside the coop with a strong flashlight and another outside watching where the light leaks out. All of these spots should be covered with hardware cloth. Hope you can reestablish your flock - Mary

Any information on who the guilty party is yet?
I would think that with fresh snow from the storms rolling through there would be some signs.
Tracks should be easy to see, unless messed up by dogs sniffing around.
I am here in S. Wis and have seen only weasel and coyotes showing any movement.
Have not seen signs of coon here at the farm or on the trap lines.

Sounds like a weasel to me. I live a little south of you and we have weasels around here. Not many but they are around. I also say the coons are denned up right now. They don't hibernate, but during cold spells they will den up for long periods of time. I catch most of my coon before christmas. After that my catch rate really goes down and it's not worth walking the trap line anymore.

Back
Top Bottom