Every single one of my hens slaughtered :(

Here in MN, our weasels are a little smaller than a ferret, I think. They can get in a very small whole, as previously mentioned. Since there didn't appear to be a mark on them, I would bet that that's what you had. Weasels will just make a bite mark (in the case of the flock of mine that was wiped out by one, anyway) on the neck, or under the wing and drink the blood. Since it happened at night, I don't believe that a rooster would have made a difference. Chickens are pretty helpless at night. Don't beat yourself up. You did your best. I don't think there is a 100% predator proof coop. Close, but if something is determined enough, it will get in. Enjoy the chickens you still have.

hit.gif
:hugs:hugs

Sounds like the work of either a weasel or mink--both do that kind of damage. A weasel can get through any sized hole that a mouse can--1 inch or so. If you use one of the bodies for bait you should be able to trap it. Don't feel bad about it, they are sneaky. I'd kept chickens here for 24 years with no problem then on the 25th year--one kill most of mine over a period of a couple of weeks before I figured out who was responsible. I did trap it.

To give you some idea on size here is a 12 inch trap with a weasel in it.
62375_img_1305.jpg

Quote:
Dogs can be some of the worst! They do it for fun... at least wild animals are doing it for their survival.

In the dark, chickens are essentially helpless, thus the rooster being an easy meal or likely the first to die in a night attack if he does anything at all. I find most roosters under a year old to be about as good as a hen for defense. LOL They have just one thing on their minds once they hit about 22 weeks old....

Im using an old dog kennel for my chickens. It had 5 separate stalls inside for large breed dogs, plus extra space for storage, labs, goldens, hunting dogs. We are down to only 2 labs now and hubby gave up three of the stalls for my chickens. I worry ALOT cuz the dividing walls are chain link, at least 2" squares, but don't go all the way to the ceiling and all my chickens can and do get up on the top of the walls to roost. I hope they are safe up there all night. The sliding pop-door is slid shut and one hinged chain link door to keep them safe from coyotes, coons anything large, but the outer door leading INTO the kennel is usually left propped open, so the dogs can get in. Their two stalls have an igloo of bales made to keep them warm for the winter months. Anything can walk thru that door, but it has to get inside the chain link fences around their yard first.
I know anything in the weasel family could do it if it wants to. I just hope the birds are all smart enough to stay up high till daylight. Can weasels climb chain link??" If so Im screwed cause someday it'll happen.
The two old labs would be of no help or deterent. The o9ld black one sleeps so soundly now you have to walk up and touch her to awaken her, she's 13 and I think has hearing loss now. The chocolate lab, much younger, is just so uncaring, he would ju8st lay there and watch it all.
tongue.png

Someday, when I'm all alone, I would tear the whole building down to the ground and rebuild it all, SAFE for chickens!! A girls has to have a dream.....

Back
Top Bottom