Every thing I have learned since Sunday....With UPDATES..AND PIC

winekntrychicks

Pooper Peeper
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Sebastopol, CA
I have posted numerous threads and lot a PM's to a certain Angel on this site. Here it goes:
I am new to chickens
Mine are 24 weeks old
Have been on Medicated started for the 1st 19 weeks of life, then Layenna laying mash with oyster shells (sold separately)....and....grit... free will.
They live in a 8x8 coop with a 8x16 run
I have 6 mixed standards, 3 Bantam Silkes, and Bantam Roo

When you find a sick bird-Seperate it from the rest of the flock

Just because its diarrhea with blood, doesn't mean it's Cocci; it could be worms and internal damage from that.

Coccidia come in more than one species. Once your chicken gets it, if they make it, they are immune to that strain, but could still get another one.

Pine shavings in the run is not a good thing, especially when it rains, it never drys out, smells sour and is a good breeding ground for "making your birds sick stuff". Looking into sand for the run.
Re-considering "deep litter" method with less deep layer and earlier clean out.

Diatomaceous Earth-food grade only works by absorbing the waxy barrier on lice, mites, etc and causes them to die by dehydration. Use in the dust bath area, coop, and nest boxes. Its all natural Visit www.perma-guard.com Can also be used in the feed for worms and better feed absorbtion.

Have in your chicken Medicine cabinet:
Amprolium(Corrid) for Cocci; Eprinex (by Ivomec) for worm/various other parasites; and Tylan Soluable Antibiotic have available, are good to just plain have on hand. It's an inconvenience when you need them and have to drop everything and search all over creation to find them. Prevention is the Key

Last edited:
So..........by 24 weeks which mine are, because they are on dirt they need to be wormed.

I plan on worming them every 6 months.

They should have some immunity to Cocci, because of the Medicated starter.

Search the posts for Eprinex spot on treatment for worms

Small batches of Tylan is 1 heaping Teaspoon per 2 gallons of water. I called the Tylan maker spoke with Julie (Vet on Staff) she said make this their only water......

More later......

Last edited:
glad you got the info on the tylan dosage
Re-considering "deep litter" method with less deep layer and earlier clean out.

The deep litter method is well researched and only when the environmental conditions (technical stuff) is met with precision can you be assured you are not breeding pathogenic organisms that are going to make your bird ill (and your birds WILL scratch around in it!). I for one couldn't possible meet nor maintain those conditions (one of the reasons is the extreme damp environment here in holland even though their coop is completely dry > I get fungus growing in my lawn an on my trees in the winter!) and it is simply not worth the risk... especially as I run across so many emergency posts at different boards with problems associated with the deep litter system. If you are lucky enough that it "works for you or have the environment and capability to maintain it as it (technically) should be maintained great... however when it goes wrong (as it often does) then it is a mess to set straight > IMHO it is only suitable for the environment it was developed for and that is an off-floor caged indoor commercial setting.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi, thanks for the post. Can you be more specific of the symptoms yours had?

First sign of illness for my bird:

1. Went to the coop in the am to let birds out; one hung back-unusual they all charge to get out.
2. Came down ramp very slowly, walked around very slowly, found some sun and stood in it. Head tucked, shoulders up near head. She did not have ruffled feathers. This is not her typical behavior. Knew she had a problem; so I waited for her to poo. Patiently I waited-Then sure as (you know what) out comes this bloody, gelatin, mess. At times it reminded me of raw liver only gelatinous I posted pic on one of my other threads-search for me as author.

The info I posted above is what I have learned and am still learning since Sunday

I took her off the Sulmet and started Tylan and Eprinex (spot on) for worms

This is going on Day 5 and today one of my other birds had a bloody poo only not as severe.

So... they all have been wormed ...will retreat in 10 days (if I am not mistaken) and on Tylan antibiotics..
th.gif

Last edited:
Through Poo Pics that I posted and chicken history a "Chicken Angel" was able to help me diagnose what seemd to be ailing my poor girl. (I will repost pics on this tread) Seems like based on age and the fact they are in the dirt she has worms and mild enteritis infection secondary to the worms and wet litter in the run-this is my understanding.) So it was suggested to me to get Eprinex by Ivomec give spot on treatment for worms and Tylan Soluable for the mild enteritis. My Girl seems to be coming out of "it" She has started to talk to me she is preaning, eating on her own, not much, never-the-less eating on her own. She is Preaning which to me is a good sign. If any one would like to post in agreement that would be good. However one of my other girls is showing some of the same symptoms in the poo, only not as bad as my girl Eagle. Something to note is Eagle and Chicka ( the other pullet showing same symptoms) are the same bread. They both are Easter Eggers (Farm supply called them Ameracaunas) These breeds are supposed to be hearty.....Hmmmmm

More later and I will get the Poo pics up........
caf.gif

Last edited:
Hey out there. We worked on the run today. Putting a cover over the run. I cleaned out 1/2 of the deep litter. It was all very dry, lots of dust. I wore a painters mask. Thought it might help some. My sick girl is getting better. This afternoon I put her in the run so she could get some sun and be with her Flock Mates.(One of her flockmates had started to show same signs so they are all being treated.) She has been out of the flock since Monday so 4 days. I had a problem with my barred rock only wanting to reestablish pecking order. But I watched closely and intervened once. I left her there till dusk. I brought her back up to the house and put her in her convalescent coop (full tile shower with glass sliders), I still want to monitor her poo. The urates still have a slight yellow tinge. While she was down with the rest of the flock she took a dust bath. Yeah.....

Will post updates as they are post worthy...have not forgotten the poo pics. To be continued......
wee.gif
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom