Every thing I have learned since Sunday....With UPDATES..AND PIC

Today is SUNDAY OCT 19TH 2008

My girl is feeling better, she is preaning, tail and head are being held high. She hears Roosty crowing and is alert and clucking.

Her poo is bright green and I am still getting old (brownish) blood and tiny bit of fresh blood. The urates are a strange color-and I can't decide if its yellow or green. It looks rubbery. Okay I know this is gross but I had to feel it. It feels creamy like a heavy cream. Weird. I will get all pics up sometime today. It's been a week since all of this began. I didn't get the right Meds until started until Thursday. I am seeing improvement, although I would think her poo would be more normal by now!!

I feel for you. I have had a terrible time with cocci in my now 9 wk old flock. Mainly one bird.
Something I have learned through this site is that the bloody poo can continue after the infestation has been successfully treated.
I thought it might be worms but it isn't (had fecal analysis done)
The other thought was necrotic enteritis as a secondary infection, but I'm hoping it was just lingering symptoms of cocci as I think, finally, it is over.
It went on so long, I think this bird will always be small and less hearty, maybe not a great layer, but she is surviving and never stops eating - poor thing probably knows she isn't getting all the nutrients, but at least she has stopped bleeding.
I treated the whole flock with the full course of Sulmet, followed by the full course of Amprolium, which in my opinion is better than Sulmet and not as hard on them.
In case you haven't seen it I want to direct you to a link on this site which I found incredibly helpful. It was these pictures that made me stop worrying so much. But I will have to find it and give you the title as i don't know how to forward.
I will get back when I've found it.

Quote:
Thank for the post. I suspected Cocci, but because of age of my birds 25 weeks now, and the fact they were on medicated start and grow for 19 weeks and in the dirt in a run-I was advised by some one who seems very knowledgeable-that it's highly probable worm and secondary infection due to wet litter in the run. I had an issue with wet litter after we had our first rain.

So I went the route as posted above. I probably should have had the fecal done. I didn't. I wonder if its too late even though I started her on sulmet for 2 days before I swithed to Eprinex spot on tx and Tylan?
smile.png

Last edited:
OK I just found it!
On page 5 of this section, titled: Could this be Coccidiosis? by Chickenmonk.
Scroll down to the one where Chickenmonk includes a link to normal & abnormal poo.
Hope it helps.

This was what I got on Monday the pink looks like epithelial tissue to me- The red fleck are definitely blood- the yellow kept photographing as yellow but it was not yellow. Couldn't get a good color to turn out on the pic
IMG_1140.jpg

This is what I got the next day after forcing her to take some amoxicillin- thats all I had at that point
IMG_1144.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a sample of Today's. Actually this evenings.
BEST.jpg

She, Eagle, is eating on her own but very little. I can't see her crop. And she still seems week. I am wondering if I should make her eat. Or just let nature takes it's course in that matter? I brought her back in again tonight. Its about 40 at night. I don't want to lay there in bed worrying if she is warm enough. No drafts in her coop away from coop.

I wonder if re-introducing her to her flock mates each afternoon is too stress full on her. The Barred Rock is such a little B otch, and her bird of a feather (her sister EE'er has a stare down with her) But my Eagle won by just a small peck. I know the sun is good for her and she has been vocal about wanting out of her tile and glass prison (guest bathroom shower). So I think what I'll do is as long as she continues to show improvement and strength I will let her visit in the afternoon thats when the fog wears off. If any one has any thoughts I would love for you to respond. Thanks. Lisa and Eagle
love.gif

Last edited:
wow. a picture says a thousand words! hard to believe the differences unless you see it with your own eyes.

i hope I don't have to learn anything the same way!

Back
Top Bottom