Everybody Help Last Min Ute Decision

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
I HAVE POSTED THAT I HAVE 3 HENS AND 3 ROOS AND THATS WAY TO MANY BOYS. IT WAS BY ACCIDENT I STILL LOVE THEM THOUGH. OK WE THHINK WE HAVE FOUND SOMEONE THATS WANTS THEM BUT WAIT SHOULD I KEEP ONE OR GET RID OF ALL 3. AND IF I KEEP ONE WHICH ONE:he ROCKY IS AGRESSIVE,BUDDY IS A GIRL CHASER AND THE DOMINANTE ONE BARRED ROCK, GEORGE IS A CUCKOOO MARAN IS THE LOW MAN THEY ALL CHASE THE GIRLS THOUGH. SO HELP WHICH ONE OR SHOULD I GET RID OF THEM ALL??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
hit.gif
ALSO WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST TIME OF DAY FOR THEM TO COME GET THEM?

Last edited:
What is the goal for your flock? eggs, pets only or breeding flock

What is your living situation? in country with lots of room, or small city lot with neighbors close by

I think at minimum, you should get rid of two of them. If you have no use for a rooster and they are all bad to the ladies, get rid of them all. Definately get rid of the aggresive roo.

Are you limited by laws to a certain number? if you can only have 6 chickens, I would get rid of all roos and get some more hens.
big_smile.png

if your gana keep one you need to bump your girls up to about six or more and I would keep your middle rooster because mean isn't good but neither is a push over,

I think the main reason to keep one would be if you want to let any of your hens hatch out some chicks. Then perhaps you could figure out which breed of hens you have and if there is a match to one of your roosters...that is if you have any interest any of your chicks being a pure breed.

Other than that, a rooster may be a liability. The noise may be an irritation to you or your neighbors (I don't know where you live) and every day on this forum I read stories about roosters attacking people. I know the one we had when I was a kid was the reason they all ended up in the crock pot. Our rooster went after this little girl my mom was babysitting and the next day all the chickens were crated up and sent to be processed (the rooster went after me all of the time but I guess somehow that was different
lol.png
)

Depending on the rooster's age, and the girl's willingness to participate - may determine whether or not he's a 'girl chaser'.
I would have defined my rooster as that four weeks ago. Downright pest, he was! But now, a month later, the girls have started to lay - are therefore more willing to participate in his romancing them - and he's turned into a perfect gentleman.

I enter the run with treats in my hand, he calls them all over to me - and HE never takes a piece - he lets ALL the girls get ALL the treats every time. He's watching out for them 24/7. He's not dominant any longer and understands his place in the 'human' flock - in that he allows my 12yo to pick him up and not fight with child. I'm glad I kept him - where a month ago, I seriously questioned my choice because he was such a girl chaser and downright not a good rooster!

Good luck with your decision.....it's not easy, is it?

thanks, i live in the country country! no limits we just wanted to start with 6 supposed to be all hesn. well maybe i shouldnt say rocky is agressive. let me explain. ok he comes around us and the hens too with the feather dance. but if you kick you leg at him to shew him its on. and if you run the chase is on. other than that he is ok.
87967_july_2011_004.jpg
this is him ainy he cute!

Back
Top Bottom