Everyone Post Your Pigeon Pics!!!!!

I'm wanting to get some pigeons this spring/summer and I've never raised them before. I've always liked homing pigeons and would love to get some as pets/hobby. If there's any information you could give me on raising pigeons I would appreciate it

I'm in love with the Old Classic Frills. However, Can I fly them like I would with other pigeons?

I think if it is a frillxflier pigeon. Then flying could be possible...

I say this BC a guy had a frillxracer and he flew it with his flock of racers...

Last edited:
That is fine... Just be out with them until they or you decide to bring them back in. Are these frills that you have or will be having, can they take off?
because if they can.... Just be aware that something frightening them might make them take off and not be able to find home.

If so, it might not be a bright idea to let them out to exercise...
alot of fanciers built large aviaries/open lofts for their fancy birds so they can get exercise and not be within dangers grasp.

That is fine... Just be out with them until they or you decide to bring them back in. Are these frills that you have or will be having, can they take off?
because if they can.... Just be aware that something frightening them might make them take off and not be able to find home.

If so, it might not be a bright idea to let them out to exercise...
alot of fanciers built large aviaries/open lofts for their fancy birds so they can get exercise and not be within dangers grasp.

They can fly but I've got an entire horse stall for them. I can build and aviary too I guess. Would having homers and other pigeons in with them be helpful? If they are let out would the homers help everyone get back?
Yes, I will have some classic frills. But I don't want to be in the dark as to what I can do with them besides stare at their beauty. ;)
I take it they're not a really "useful" bird because they're fancy? I've seen where Fanciers let their birds out to fly and if there was more to it than meets the eye? (I'm sure there is.) I'm really new to this world of pigeons and wanted to know some tips.

In terms "fancy pigeons" were initially meant to be starred upon. But yes, you can surely have them out and about rather in a cage till death.

In most cases classic frill do not have a strong homing ability.

Fancy pigeon genetics have been altered through centuries to be SHOW type and thus greatly loosing the genetics of PERFORMANCE.

I feel like classic frills won't be with a flock of homers when in flight. They -if they take off with the homers- will most likely break off into their own group or individually... since they will not have the same flying style as homers...
From there, loosing them is in high percentage.

A flock of tipplers and homers will not stay together... they will branch off and tipplers will ascend height while the homers take off further into the distance and reappear every now and then. If tipplers are taken out too far, they cannot find home. That is why tipplers usually circle really close to the loft at high altitudes.

One could only imagine what a fancy pigeon would do if taken out too far -most likely sit on the rooftop of a house or tree somewhere-

I am sure there are times people have great fancy pigeons doing awesome performances... but that is through their own luck and bargain.

So I wouldn't suggest letting your frills out in the open even with homers or other performance birds. Birds of Prey are initial reasons fanciers lose their fancy pigeons.

If you could, you should build a big enough aviary/loft for them to fly around in. If not, it is your choice to see what works best for you and your surroundings...so if you decide you want to let them out... I will not say no.

Back
Top Bottom