Everyone Post Your Pigeon Pics!!!!!

Thanks! (Flame is actually a male but he does seem very feminine). I actually don't know what else he has in him, a pigeon guy that gave me my first few pigeons gave him to me. He was from a coop with fantails, archangels, old hen pigeons (or I think that's what he said they are) and some other kind.

I notice your pigeon is with your quail....any problems? I tried keeping some fantails I was given to care for in the aviary with my quail and they ran over the quail, pecking them and chasing them from their established areas.

No problems at all. The aviary is pretty big though, about 8'x15'. The pigeons also have an attached coop the quail can't get in too that is 8'x5' where they nest. I think that helps prevent territorial fights. The only way into the pigeon cage is a smallish door up high connecting the two cages.

I need a way to design my pen so my fantails cant get into the area where my quail can go, just the opposite of your set up. I was so hoping the pigeons would occupy the upper areas and fly rather than run around on the ground with the quail. That would be the better solution.

I need a way to design my pen so my fantails cant get into the area where my quail can go, just the opposite of your set up.  I was so hoping the pigeons would occupy the upper areas and fly rather than run around on the ground with the quail.  That would be the better solution.

At any given time, my piggys prefer the ground too! Lots to scavenge...

I've seen rabbit hutch like lofts and would like to make something smaller for my pigeons, right now they have a 4x4 coop with a 20x20 pen and that's huge for 4 fantail pigeons. And I would like to get a few turkeys to put in that pen, so I'm wanting to make them something smaller than once there use to it I will let them be free ranged but still have the smaller loft for nesting and roosting. So I'm wanting to see pictures or hear ideas on a small loft. Thanks!

I used to make small wooden half open fronted boxes for my garden doves. About 42 inch long.

Then I fixed them up under the house roof overhang.

They roosted and nested in the boxes... high up from predators.

I used to keep a water dispenser and feeder on the bird table in the garden for them to use.

Each pair needs its own box.

You have to cover the open part with wire for a few weeks until they get used to it as they home. Then you can take the wire off and let them come and go as they like.

Sorry I have no photos of the boxes.

No free flying going on here. The Great Horned Owl that just moved in now has a friend. They are doing well at reducing the rodents but I have to make sure everyone else is locked up.

We have been down in the teens at night, I was surprised to find 9 eggs while watering today. I'm not holding out much hope for them hatching.

Back
Top Bottom