Everyone should raise their own turkey next year!!!

Quote:
raise some french guinea fowl instead!

that's what we had for "turkey"day and everyone who tried it (guinea) for their first time said hands down, it was their favorite bird they'd ever had!

Quote:

that's what we had for "turkey"day and everyone who tried it (guinea) for their first time said hands down, it was their favorite bird they'd ever had!

I've heard that too..

Quote:

I've heard that too..

Are they more White meat or Dark meat or some of both? I cooked a muscovie drake yesterday for the first time and it was all dark meat, really dark and gamey tasting and I didnt care for it, I was a lot like flank steak acutally and Im not a big steak/red meat fan, and the duck was older so the meat was kinda tough too. But what kind of meat do guineas have, do you have any pics of a dressed guinea carcass ? I may try to get a guinea for christmas to try since I tried a duck for thanksgiving.

I wouldn't dare eat my turkey. I invited him for dinner instead of having him for dinner!
Grampa was out guest of honor! He got BOSS, pumpkin pie, peas, carrots, yam, fresh bread, cranberry sauce &
an all natural berry yogurt! celebrate
love

Now that is just awesome!!! Love the Pic!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

We will be raising 15 next year for the 1st time. Hopefully all goes well. Really looking forward to all of it.​

Quote:
I've heard that too..

Are they more White meat or Dark meat or some of both? I cooked a muscovie drake yesterday for the first time and it was all dark meat, really dark and gamey tasting and I didnt care for it, I was a lot like flank steak acutally and Im not a big steak/red meat fan, and the duck was older so the meat was kinda tough too. But what kind of meat do guineas have, do you have any pics of a dressed guinea carcass ? I may try to get a guinea for christmas to try since I tried a duck for thanksgiving.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/stuffed-guinea-hen-recipe/index.html

Katy I agree! We raised 8 this year, and butchered 3. They all tasted amazing, my largest was just under 12 pounds at 6 months and the smallest was 8.22. Will keep the rest for breeding and see how next year turns out. My uncle in law who was in charge of carving at first complained about no breast meat until he got to cutting and noticed how much tender meat was on the birds. He said it was the best turkey ever, I tend to agree.

Quote:

Thanks !! That looks delicious. Now where's me a guinea ?. I would be able to find any french ones around here, just the regular pearls and such but they would work good enough to try.

Quote:

Thanks !! That looks delicious. Now where's me a guinea ?. I would be able to find any french ones around here, just the regular pearls and such but they would work good enough to try.

the meat is much more purple than a chickens (when raw), but when cooked it is more like a chicken (NOT cornish X) or a pheasant. the meat is kinda in between the two i would say. not gamey at all.. but like a "wild" chicken or something.. AWESOME!

if i knew how to post pictures i would post the roasted bird from yesterday, but.... i don't
sad.png

here's a link to a pic of a roasted guinea. you can even see the purple feet they left on (only cutting off the "toes")
http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/roast-guinea-fowl-with-truffles-and-tagliatelle

if you type in whole roasted guinea fowl into google images you will get lots of delicious looking pics

edited to add link

Last edited:
I bought two broad breasted whites at a local feed store in August, they were 6-7 weeks old at the time. I put them in with my laying hens immediately and there was never a problem. They got along fine from the beginning, roosted with the hens, went in and out with the hens, they even got along fine with the two roosters. They ate the same layer feed as all the other fowl, so they probably didn't grow as big as they could have, but they were 15 and 20 lbs dressed which is plenty big for me.

As others have said, they were quite friendly, they may not have wanted you to pet them, but they did not scatter like the chickens when approached.

They don't take that much extra space.

Back
Top Bottom