Everyone Who Handfeeds.....

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
Hello everyone. I recently lost a baby fantail that had been scalped. I brought him, I was feeding him, and he was eating good, but my incubator was in storage and the only source of heat I had was a heating pad that went off automatically in two hours. Well I couldn't be home all day to make sure it didn't turn off, so sadly the little pigeon died. What do yall use as a heat source for the baby pigeons yall handfead? Would an incubator with the little vent holes open work? Just wondering in case I have to do this again.

Last edited:
Pigeons produce a milky substance that they regurgitate to the chick. I don't think you can hand feed them for that reason. I know pigeons will raise baby's in the dead of winter. I don't think cold is an issue if it's indoors.

Quote:
Actually, you can buy some parrot hand-feeding formula and raise them with that...They don't HAVE to have their parents crop milk..You can also order squab (baby pigeon) formula, specifically for baby pigeons, from Roudybush Direct. It is the best way to raise your babies....

I have successfully raised multiple pigeon babies that way....

Quote:
The parents also sit on them for the first couple of weeks to keep them from freezing to death too.

I am handfeeding right now a 2 week old little piglet of a pigeon. I have hand feed everything form new hatch to flegling. They live in my bathroom in a box with a electric heater. I handfeed a mix of baby rice ceral and mixed grain, grain is ground at first and added to ceral then at about 2 week depending on the squab and how it is eating I start adding whole small grains cracked corn and millets ect.. I have used this formula with great results for several years and many baby pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom