Evil Rooster

We were not speaking about mares here, but rather about long ingrained or deep seated instinctive behaviors that can be attributed to the thoughtless actions of humans. Anyway, think you for your response, at least your answer is consistent and I appreciate that.
I agree but there is a big difference between the deep seated ingrained behavior to shy and run away and the behavior to attack humans because they feel they need to defend their territory or mares/hens. If the rooster ran away from me I would have no problem with that as would my fore fathers. I do however have a big problem with the rooster attacking me and I would have the same problem with any other animal on the farm attacking me.

I am sorry you disagree, but it doesn't change the fact that I do not believe I did anything wrong by dispatching a dangerous animal that would have caused a lot more damage than it actually did. Since I free range my animals and do not keep them caged up it is totally unsafe for me to have a rooster that will attack people coming onto the property here and frankly I just won't do it.

Now before we begin let me make sure that you understand that the rooster gets half of his DNA from his daddy and the other half from his mama. DNA however is a complex thing and most traits are passed down through a complex chain of DNA not just one random gene here and there. Also many poultry traits seem to be linked to the parent of the opposite sex. For instance in the absence of certain genes the male side (if it is present) will for provide the DNA for a white eggshell.

Therefor it would make more sense to kill a rebellious rooster's mama as well as all his sisters, aunts, girl cousins, and daughters etc. because their contribution to the next male generation's DNA is the greater part of any future rooster's heredity. In other words what we got here is a simple case of misguided vengeious that will have little to no effect on the behavior of future generations of roosters.

I would so like to see a broad and far ranging poll asking the question of Back Yard Poultry Keepers if they would keep a strain of chickens that had been Genetically Modified in such a way that they possessed a pusillanimous dispossession.

One would think that after 7 or 8 thousand generations of domestication and with literally millions of macho roosters meeting an inglorious end at the business end of a chopping axe every year that roosters by now would display considerable progress toward acquiring a pusillanimous dispossession but that has not been the case.
Since I did not breed this rooster I do not have the parents of this rooster on the property. The hens and roosters I have bred are all nice and friendly but good protectors of the girls from things they should be protected from. Talking to my grandmother who is 97 and worked and raised farm animals for most of her life from the time she was little and telling her about what happened and she said "My dad would have wrung his neck the first time he jumped at me" People did not tolerate this behavior in their roosters because the whole family was part of farming including the kids and the dad didn't have time to worry about the kids collecting the eggs or cleaning the coop.

I am not going to continue to argue with you and allow you to try to make me feel bad because I did what I know was necessary. If you want your guests and family members attacked by your animals or to lock your animals up so your family is safe, that's fine by me. I won't judge and I shouldn't be judged by you either.

LilyD, you have absolutely no reason to feel bad about killing that rooster. Sometimes I think people like to argue just for the fun of it. That rooster wouldn't have had a long life here, either. Rest easy and enjoy your chicken 'n dumplings!

LilyD, you have absolutely no reason to feel bad about killing that rooster. Sometimes I think people like to argue just for the fun of it. That rooster wouldn't have had a long life here, either. Rest easy and enjoy your chicken 'n dumplings!
x2

I agree but there is a big difference between the deep seated ingrained behavior to shy and run away and the behavior to attack humans because they feel they need to defend their territory or mares/hens. If the rooster ran away from me I would have no problem with that as would my fore fathers. I do however have a big problem with the rooster attacking me and I would have the same problem with any other animal on the farm attacking me.

I am sorry you disagree, but it doesn't change the fact that I do not believe I did anything wrong by dispatching a dangerous animal that would have caused a lot more damage than it actually did. Since I free range my animals and do not keep them caged up it is totally unsafe for me to have a rooster that will attack people coming onto the property here and frankly I just won't do it.

I have to say I don't blame you. We had a rooster that was extremely mean. In fact, he spurred one of our daughters so bad on the side of her knee that she ended up on crutches. No way were we keeping him around.

I have to say I don't blame you. We had a rooster that was extremely mean. In fact, he spurred one of our daughters so bad on the side of her knee that she ended up on crutches. No way were we keeping him around.

It's exactly that type of stuff that I worry about. We run a pretty open farm and often young kids will come with their parents while I am here to see all the animals. We have horses, dogs, cats, chickens, turkeys and ducks. They love to feed them, collect the eggs and occasionally touch their feathers. Some of the younger kids are small enough that if a rooster tried to spur them he wouldn't hit their knee he would be hitting them in the face. God forbid he spurred their eye and blinded them just because they were spending a day at the farm. I would feel so horrible. So all the animals here have to be friendly to people. No exceptions allowed, because it would be dangerous to have an animal that wasn't friendly and have to sit on them to ensure all the little ones safety.

Back
Top Bottom