Ewwwwww!!!!!

tikidoc

Chirping
15 Years
Dec 23, 2007
I was out of town the last 4 days (DH taking care of the animals) and got home this evening and went in to see my hens. Fed the girls some treats (mealworms) and picked up one of Buff Orp hens (they are lap-chickens). I feel this plop, look down, thinking she pooped on me, and find a shell-less egg in my lap. This is our only shell-less egg, and certainly the only egg laid in my lap. Anyone ever have this happen??? Of note, this was about 8 pm, and our hens lay almost exclusively from mid morning to mid afternoon. STRANGE!!!

sickbyc.gif

Icky! Mine just started laying this week, so I have no advice for you. Just wanted to say BLECH!
smile.png

I have one that has been laying shell-less eggs for about a week now. She had one break inside her, which I got cleared up, and now she's laying them shell-less. I don't know what's gotten into her!

Yea, some welcome home, huh? We "cracked" it (just pinched it and pulled) and it looked like a normal egg inside. Hopefully this is an isolated event.

Why in the world did she put the nasty thing in my lap? No warning, just sat there for a minute then PLOP and off she hops. No noise, no cluck, just PLOP.

Ewwwwwwww.....

Oh, and yes, they get oyster shells, as well as extra milk from our cow, so plenty of calcium. And every other egg so far has been OK, although we get a fair number of double yolkers.

Last edited:
We have one hen who lays really big, thin shelled eggs. I once saw her walk underneath our porch and lay an egg on the ground. She pecked it softly, and it completely fell apart. Then she began eating it. This is the only time that I know of that she laid an egg somewhere other than in a nest box. I assume it happened quickly and surprised her. She seemed to know immediately that the egg was not normal.

If it happens occasionally, there is nothing to worry about. Especially at this time of the year, when they are molting it might happen, when they go in or out of the molt.

Make sure they have enough calcium.

The shell-less egg was only moderately freaky - I have read enough here to expect getting one occasionally.

What freaked me out was her DUMPING THE DARN THING IN MY LAP!!! It's like she was saying "OK, ma, I have this egg and something is wrong with it - YOU take care of it!"

Back
Top Bottom