ex battery hens......behaviour? *pics added*

day 2 and we're over run with eggs! all hens have finally ventured out of the houses and i even caught some dust bathing today...i must admit i shed a few tears of happiness!
a few of the eggs though have been weak shelled/rubber shelled...will that be stress from the move or should i offer extra calcium?

Probably stress from the move. Sunshine, layer pellets and time.....they should do well. Are they Cinnamon Queens? Those are great layers. I just got some Cinnamon Queens after much thought and deliberation. I have never had a hybrid chicken...I expected them to be flighty with little personality. So far, they and my barred rocks are the most friendly. So I have had a pleasant surprise. Best of luck to you!!!

i have no idea what sort they are, they are all shades of brown with huge floppy combs, some seem friendly, while others attack your legs, shoes, the feed bucket etc(not sure if thats just a reaction though, most are pretty scared of anything that moves!)

They have floppy combs because in the battery farms they have the temperature quite high. They will shrink.

I'm impressed they've benn dust bathing already, mine took ages before they learnt that.

Glad its all going well
xx

Calcium won't hurt. I give mine crushed oyster shell in a regular feeder and the birds eat lots and lots of it (more than I would have guessed.) I think I would scatter a couple of handfuls on the ground, and again each day if all is eaten. It may take a few days for them to start eating it. Gradually increase until they don't eat it all then put it in a trough or pan. I'm not sure if they can OD on it if they're not used to it, but building up to free choice seems the safest way. Did you ask what kind of feed they were on? You may find some GI distress on top of everything else from the change of food. Feed some of those eggs back to them, scrambled, and maybe add some vit E for their feathers. Also, use the same container (like a white pail) to bring the eggs and other treats so they learn that that is what the "good stuff" is in and will attack whatever comes out of it! I think they (and you) are WONDERFUL!!!

Back
Top Bottom