Ex battery hens wont og out side :S

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
I got two ex battery hens a couple of days before christmas, if you want to see pics etc look on here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=612071, anyways they still wont go outside there pop hole is open at all times, and even when they run out of water they dont go out side. Should i force them to go out side? the weather is pretty crap though cold&wet, wonder if thats why? should i just leave them to do it them selfs or force them out the shed?

I have raised broiler house rescues and they didn't like to go outside either. I forced them out on nice days. Trying taking yours out and setting them down in a nice warm, but not in direct sun spot.

They will be more at ease if you can have something over their heads. They are not used to seeing the sky and it freaks them a bit, I guess. I always set mine down under a large bush or tree; some liked to sit under the glider rocker.

Be sure to offer water close by.

That is normal for bat hens, it takes a while for them to adjust and some never do. The best way is to put them with other normal hens and feed them scratch outside, they will get it... usually. Good luck.
smile.png
Watch them if they are with other non-battery hens. Check their feet also that they do not get curled toes.

Last edited:
they have a bowl in there shed but they usually drink it when they get bored so its all gone, but if they are desperate there is some water right out side there pop holee so all they would have to do is walk out have a drink turn around and go back in

Quote:
well i have 4 other ex battery hens
2 which ive had for 3 years
2 that ive had for one year
and then i have an ex free range farmed hen
a cream legbar
2 barn yard mixes
and the cockerel
and a ancona bantam but the 2 hens ive had for 3 years dont bother them either does the ancona

That is good, I have had mixed results. Cannibalism was an issue with mine and some would adjust just fine others never really did they would stay in the house or worse stay in the nest box all day and crap on the other eggs. Some leghorns I had would run everywhere they went outside but would only walk in the henhouse, very amusing to watch. They also would not get out of the rain when it was pouring. I buy whole farms of spent hens from time to time and have seen some odd things.
Quote:
well i have 4 other ex battery hens
2 which ive had for 3 years
2 that ive had for one year
and then i have an ex free range farmed hen
a cream legbar
2 barn yard mixes
and the cockerel
and a ancona bantam but the 2 hens ive had for 3 years dont bother them either does the ancona

They've never been outside in their lives nor have they ever been given a choice to do so. They have been surrounded by wire their entire lives and have no idea what they are capable of doing.

Coop bound hens is a common problem among these rescued gals. Once you add them to the existing flock they will get the idea. However, if there is no existing flock to teach them how to act (or are in quarantine) you will have to be their teacher. Don't try to starve them to get them to go outside. Right now they have no idea how to forage for food. Food has always been right in front of their face and they are not capable of thinking on how to find food at this point. Don't worry, though, they'll figure things out.

When the weather is halfway decent you can place the hens outside with food and water near by in a pen for a short period of time. For the first few times I'd stay with them to make sure they don't get into trouble. Your gals still have certain instincts and may panic if a cloud passes over head. Your gals won't know how to navigate a ramp, nor will they attempt to move from their comfort zone. That's okay they will eventually figure out they can actually move without running into wire or another chicken.

Don't despair! Because once these gals get over their fear, and realize they are now 'real' chickens, they will start to act like chickens. When they learn they can walk on grass, you can toss their food in front of them so they will get the idea on how to forage. Be patient, once they feel safe they will start acting like chickens.

And if you do plan to add them to your existing flock, watch them as they can get picked on. They lack the social skills to navigate flock dynamics and may need extra care for a few weeks until they figure out how to behave appropriately among other ladies.

So gratifying to watch these timid creature slowly blossom to real, living creatures. Congratulations!

Last edited:
They are all ready with my exsisting flock, but the good thing is the two top hens like them both. They are all quite nice whe they take a look in the battery hens shed but they are quite nasty out side but im glad my two top hens like them and os does the ancona, and the rooster hasnt bothered them so far which is unusal because he usual teaches new hens that hes deffantley the boss

Back
Top Bottom